31409Re: [mill_drill] End mill question

  • Corey Renner
    Jun 1, 2012
      2-flute is better when chip evacuation is an issue, the most-extreme scenario is when making a slot that is the width of the endmill itself.  A 2-flute EM will make a slot pretty-close to on-size, a 4fl will tend to deflect and make an oversized cut that is biased to one side.  This knack for slotting is also why 2fl EM's are sometimes called "slot drills".  If you still can't find a use for them, you can send them to me :)

      cheers,

      On Fri, Jun 1, 2012 at 5:17 PM, Curtis J Blank <Curt.Blank@...> wrote:

      Well, cutting tool question I guess, ball end, radius, etc.

      2 flute verses 4 flute. I tend to buy and use 4 flute cutters
      exclusively. I have 2 flute end mills but only because they came in sets
      I purchased.

      So I guess the question is why 2 flute? When would a 2 flute end mill be
      preferable to use over a 4 flute end mill? Or does it come down to cost?

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic