30697Re: Spindle/Quill Bearings - Lube

  • Tim W4YN
    Mar 2, 2012
      Wheel bearing grease is for low rpm application.
      You need a light soap grease with low viscocity pure mineral oil.
      That was by the book, a good grade of light grease will work fine.
      I use the white lubraplate for most medium speed applications. I would bet that a thin synthetic grease would do well also. Lucas makes a green (sorry not sure of name) GP high grade grease.
      If the soad (the thick stuff that holds oil) or the oil is too stiff (high viscosity) the balls or rollers will push it all aside and loose lubrcation.
      Tim in NC

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Stan Stocker <skstocker@...> wrote:

      > Good morning,
      >
      > When I emailed Grizzly tech support years ago they recommended using a
      > good quality wheel bearing grease. My particular mill is a g1006.
      >
      > Take care,
      > Stan
      >
      > On 02/29/2012 10:59 PM, dereklola wrote:
      > > What grease to members recommend for the taper roller bearings?
      > > And for the sliding splines?

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic