30674Re: Spindle/Quill Bearings - Lube

  • largrin
    Mar 1, 2012
      First of all, I am not a lubrication expert.

      When I did my spindle a few weeks ago, I went to Advance Auto, and looked at what was there.

      After reading info on cans for a several minutes, I bought-
      "#2 Extreme Pressure Lithium Grease"
      It says it is formulated for high temperature performance.
      It is red in color.
      On my fingers, it feels thinner than normal axle grease.

      Since then, I have run the mill for extended periods. Once was nearly 3 hours.
      I can feel no heat buildup. The spindle gets barely above room temperature.
      I can get my pinky finger into the tang slot to feel the main spindle barrel, and it feels fine, even after lots of use.

      So I think I lucked out and got the right grease for it.

      Larry in WV

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "dereklola" <derek@...> wrote:

      > What grease to members recommend for the taper roller bearings?
      > And for the sliding splines?

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic