      From: Jerry Durand <jdurand@...>
      Subject: Re: [mill_drill] Re: screw loading
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Wednesday, February 1, 2012, 1:54 PM

      This is to hold some TDK power supplies inside a NEMA 12 box. Their
      supplies are nice but their mounting is questionable, the supply weighs
      4.5 pounds and has only three M3 screws that can penetrate up to 3mm
      into the box. Screwed into a pressed-in steel insert like these

      I'm thinking of some of the thin double stick tape between the supply
      and the case in addition to the screws, these have to go on theatrical tour.

      On 2/1/2012 10:09 AM, mattdbartlett wrote:
      > Machinist handbook has a whole chapter on the subject, unfortunately no simple chart. As I recall, the rule of thumb is 3 full threads of engagement.
      > As far as actual load, I think it's more of a question of what you are threading into. Aluminum will hold less of course than steel. If you have a copy of MH, there are equations in there for calculating minimum engagement and max load.
      > -Matt

      tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      Skype: jerrydurand

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic