30422Re: screw loading

  • mattdbartlett
    Feb 1, 2012
      Machinist handbook has a whole chapter on the subject, unfortunately no simple chart. As I recall, the rule of thumb is 3 full threads of engagement.

      As far as actual load, I think it's more of a question of what you are threading into. Aluminum will hold less of course than steel. If you have a copy of MH, there are equations in there for calculating minimum engagement and max load.

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Jerry Durand <jdurand@...> wrote:
      > Anyone have a link to a good chart for recommended thread engagement and
      > holding capacity for screws? Especially the smaller ones like M3.
      > --
      > Jerry Durand, Durand Interstellar, Inc. www.interstellar.com
      > tel: +1 408 356-3886, USA toll free: 1 866 356-3886
      > Skype: jerrydurand
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic