29160Re: new mill cleanup

  • thunderclaw007
    Jul 1, 2011
      I think the issue that you are running into here is the difference from surface finish versus accuracy. Just because your gib strip has a surface finish that is rough from milling doesn't necessarily mean it is not accurately flat. The best way to check flatness is to get a surface plate and put the gib strip on it and check how flat it is. If it is bent, curved, or twisted it will show. If it looks ok, then check the bearing surfaces by putting a light coat of prussian blue on the surface plate and gently rub your gib strip on it. Depending on the thickness of the layer of prussian blue that you put on it, it will show where your gib strip contacts the plate.

      If it contacts the whole strip and the weight is borne across the length of the strip, then it is doing just fine. If it is only touching a few areas, then the strip needs to bend, twist, or has a bump that will interfere with it moving smoothly.

      Final note, once your gib strip is accurately flat, you can use it to check you ways also.

      Hope this helps.

      Bob

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "velocirex64" <velocirex64@...> wrote:

      > Thanks for the reference clumsy. After reading this I came across a huge thread on the IH support forum at CNCzone
      >
      > http://www.cnczone.com/forums/industrial_hobbies_support_forum/11874-way_lapping_scraping_gib_adjustment-10.html
      >
      > Apparently to lap or not is quite a polarizing topic! Beware though, it may leave you even more confused than when you started..
      >

      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "clumsysoftballerz" <mypersonalemailaccount@> wrote:
      > >
      > > mini-lathe dot com has a great sefton on cleaning up the gibbs and ways. lapping them enough to improve then, but not enough to prevent oil from sticking isn't a bad idea.
      > >
      > > I am tempted to do mine using the aluminum polish technique since I'll have it apart for my conversion this week anyways.
      > >
      > > basically you remove the screws, put heavy grease on the back of the gib to keep it there and leave the gib a little loose. cost the gib and ways with aluminum polish and manually push and pull it through its entire movement 30 or 50 times. clean it, and repeat with fresh aluminum polish.
      > >
      > > this laps the find and ways together and ensures a great fit.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic