      From: velocirex64 <velocirex64@...>
      Subject: [mill_drill] Re: new mill cleanup
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Friday, July 1, 2011, 12:32 PM

      Thanks for the reference clumsy. After reading this I came across a huge thread on the IH support forum at CNCzone

      http://www.cnczone.com/forums/industrial_hobbies_support_forum/11874-way_lapping_scraping_gib_adjustment-10.html

      Apparently to lap or not is quite a polarizing topic! Beware though, it may leave you even more confused than when you started..

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "clumsysoftballerz" <mypersonalemailaccount@...> wrote:

      > mini-lathe dot com has a great sefton on cleaning up the gibbs and ways. lapping them enough to improve then, but not enough to prevent oil from sticking isn't a bad idea.
      >
      > I am tempted to do mine using the aluminum polish technique since I'll have it apart for my conversion this week anyways.
      >
      > basically you remove the screws, put heavy grease on the back of the gib to keep it there and leave the gib a little loose. cost the gib and ways with aluminum polish and manually push and pull it through its entire movement 30 or 50 times. clean it, and repeat with fresh aluminum polish.
      >
      > this laps the find and ways together and ensures a great fit.

    • Show all 7 messages in this topic