27925Re: Choosing a new Mill Drill

  • leasingham_connelly
    Feb 7, 2011
      See my message #27522

      My own machine is the round column with a 3 phase motor and VFD. I have it set up so that at 100Hz it runs at 1600 rpm. I run it as slow as 3Hz for tapping (with corresponding low torque) M6, M8, M10, M12 & M16. Never change the belt position as a result. I have glass scale DRO on X and Y and the electronic caliper type on Z but will probably go glass scale there as well soon. Power drive on X axis.

      Only you can realy decide which machine is best for you. The main argument for spending more money on the dovetail machine compared to the round column is the loss of head registration when raising or lowering it. There are plenty of work arounds for this with little cost (a suitable indicator in a mag base). Some with medium cost such as I employ if required (enough suitable collets to allow either R8 or ER32 as required). Some with high time cost such as modifying the machine with no guarantee of improvement. The tilting head would be nice to have but the lack of it has never caused me to be unable to make something I wanted to.

      The X axis power drive is something I would consider a must have, you will too if you spend much time cranking the handles. DRO a close second.

      What you need to think about is if the increase in cost for a dovetail machine is worth the decrease in possible speeds and the possibility that you may occasionaly need to move the head up or down during a set up. There may be some difference in the distance from the spindle to the column that may be important to you as well.

      Martin

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "bphill04" <barry.phillips@...> wrote:

      > Hi Lennard,
      >
      > I have been in touch with the guys at Asset Plant & Machinery - very
      > helpful indeed!
      >
      > One thing I have noticed about the SM-MD30 is that it only weighs 210kg
      > - almost 100kg less than the HM-46! From what I have read and been told,
      > weight (mass) is very important on a mill. Do you know what causes the
      > weight difference between the two machines and if it is something I
      > should be concerned about?
      >
      > I must admit, the additional cost of the SM-MD30 coupled with the
      > freight charges to get it to Sydney are a bit of a concern to me. Then
      > again, the 1600RPM top speed on the HM-46 also concerns me greatly as
      > much of my milling will be done using small-ish cutters on aluminium and
      > other alloys. I am seriously considering foregoing the benefits of a
      > tilting head and dovetail column and choosing a round column, belt drive
      > mill such as the HM-32
      > (https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=M121
      > <https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=M121> ) With the
      > money I save on the purchase price I can get a few more extras like a
      > digital read out or a good sized vice or some extra cutters... Life is
      > full of trade-offs and buying a Mill is no different!
      >
      > Any comments from other group members on the choice of a belt drive
      > round column mill would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Barry
      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "leonar d bristow" <firstbumper@>
      > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi Barry,
      > > I just purchased a mill from Asset machinery, close by to hare &
      > Forbes. Slightly dearer than H&F but IMO a cut above, & service is
      > excellent.
      > > With a belt drive you can always play with the pulley sizes. 1600
      > seems a bit slow for small size drilling or polishing, but it largely
      > depends on how you use the machine.
      > > I got a SM-MD30 - geared head box column, variable speed. Only thing I
      > dont like is the position of the head crank handle, but I'm putting a
      > motor on that, so no prob. Very happy with my purchase. Top revs is
      > 2600.
      > > Lennard

      > > Provided by Australis
      > > http://www.australis.com.au/