27889Re: [mill_drill] Choosing a new Mill Drill

  • curt wuollet
    Feb 1, 2011
      If money isn't an issue, it certainly opens up a lot
      of choices. A lot of the popularity of the round column
      milldrills has to do with their providing good capability
      and versatility at a price that can almost be justified
      for a hobby. If I were thinking about spending that kind
      of money, I would also be looking at the low end knee mills
      which also avoid the registration issues and may be more
      robust than the dovetail column type. And a check around
      for good used industrial machines would be prudent in this
      economy. In other words, for what I spent for my RC milldrill,
      I doubt you can beat it as far as bang per buck. Once you
      climb up out of the low end, things aren't nearly so clear.
      Of course, where you are also enters into the picture as
      some options simply don't exist in some places and you
      can't ship these massive chunks of iron very far economically.
      But, here, for $2K, I could be looking for a Bridgeport or
      Lagun or Hurco at fire sale prices.

      Regards

      cwww

      bphill04 wrote:

      > Hi All,
      >
      > I have been researching options for the purchase of a new mill drill.
      >
      > After ready the many comments already listed on this forum I had pretty
      > much decided to go with a dovetail column rather than a round column. I
      > have been looking at the HM-46 from Hare & Forbes.
      >
      > https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=M123
      >
      > The HM-46 has a 6 speed gear driven head with a top speed of 1600RPM. I
      > have also looked at the HM-32
      >
      > https://www.machineryhouse.com.au/Products?stockCode=M121
      >
      > This is a round column unit with a 12 speed belt driven head and a
      > maximum speed of 2040RPM.
      >
      > My question is this: Is this 1600RPM top speed on the HM-46 too slow for
      > general machining in a hobby workshop?
      >
      > I will be working with a wide range of materials - steel, brass,
      > aluminium, plastic etc. Any comments on maximum speeds or
      > recommendations on the HM-46 vs HM-32 would be greatly appreciated.
      >
      > Cheers
      >
      > Barry

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic