2707Re: [mill_drill] Running out of things to post

  • Art Eckstein
    Jun 3, 2002
      On my lathe (I know this is heresy) on this list, I use the boring bars for my boring head1
      It just so happens that my Holder for the lathe bits is 1/2" as are the boring bars for my boring head (round) so I just put the boring bar in the holder and crank down on the set screws! Works fine for me and I use both the carbide and the HSS that I have [read NOT broken] that will suit the job at hand. Yesterday, I had to bore some 17mm holes in cast Iron and it worked fine.

      Now IF I can just sneak up on the hole size and not go overboard!

      At 08:55 PM 6/3/02 +0000, you wrote:
      Group members:

      Well, I guess everyone has just run out of things to say to the
      newsgroup. Not that I have anything particularly important to share.

      Over the weekend I spent more time than I should have on trying to
      made an indexable boring bar. This involves machining a V slot in the
      end of a 1/2" piece of drill rod so I could mount a TCMT32 carbide
      insert. I had thought that this would be something I could do and
      save myself anywhere from $20-50 over the price of a commercial
      boring bar. Well, it isn't quite as easy as I thought. I did manage
      to make a boring bar, but, it was not anything that I was sure would
      work very well. I tried again and the results were even less
      successful. I may just stick to the HSS insert boring bars (using my
      lathe) or the the boring head and carbide type boring bars using my
      mill/drill. If anyone has had any luck with making such a tool I
      would like to hear about it.

      Phil Teague

      Kwick Pick opens locked car doors,
      front doors, drawers, briefcases,
      padlocks, and more. On sale now!

      Country Bubba
      (Actually the inventor of Country and Bubba)

      LaGrange, GA

    • Show all 17 messages in this topic