25270Re: [mill_drill] Newbie

  • Snag
    Feb 8, 2010
      Ray <neon_ram48@...> wrote:
      > Hi Folks
      > I am new on here and also to machining.
      >
      > I am in the market for a mill and am down to two choices, one is
      > the 6x26 knee mill sold by HF WT and a host of others and the second
      > is a WT ZX45. does anyone have experience with either of these
      > machines? Is the ZX45 in the x-3 family or is it a bigger more rigid
      > mill?
      > I would like to hear the pros and cons of both
      > Thanks
      > Ray Mc

      I have the ZX45 mill , it's around 800 lbs . IIRC the X-3 is about half
      that weight . I'm very happy with mine , it has (so far) done everything I
      want with no problems . The only thing I've found is that it's noisy when
      doing heavy cuts with a single insert cutter or flycutter . It kinda rattles
      and clatters a bit especially at the lower speeds .

      Snag
      "90 FLHTCU "Strider"
      '39 WLDD "PopCycle"
      BS 132/SENS/DOF