24309Re: [mill_drill] Re: New Mill Odor (WD-40 extracted)

  • Robert E. Hawley
    Aug 5, 2009
      I agree with Ray on this one, I had wood heat in a very old shop in SW Washington the only way I could keep my machines from rusting was a good spray of WD-40 after I used them.  I sprayed them left them wet with the stuff and never had any rust.  I even used it to spray my stock metal and it also never rusted and you don¬ít have to do it all that often either.  Bob

      Sent: Wednesday, August 05, 2009 9:56 AM
      Subject: [mill_drill] Re: New Mill Odor (WD-40 extracted)

      Huh! So..... I guess my machines are actually all rusty and stained, even though they all look *exactly* like they did when I first uncrated them all those many years ago? Where on earth does all this vehement anti WD-40 mythology come from?? It sure isn't illuminated by any actual facts....

      Regards,
      Ray L.

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "cnc4cheap" <cnc4cheap@. ..> wrote:

      > Proponents of
      WD-40,

      > WD-40 is absolutely one of the poorest rust
      preventatives that you could ever use. Not only is it a poor rust preventative but the damn oil will stain your iron. If you need a rust preventative then do yourself a favor and purchase a product that is formulated for that purpose.

      href="mailto:mill_drill%40yahoogroups.com">mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Ray Livingston" <jagboy@> wrote:

      > > The "fact"
      that it is "not oil" is irrelevent. WD-40 works very well to protect against rust, if re-applied every few months. It's all I've ever used to protect my machines, and none of them have a speck of rust on them, despite the fact that I live in a very humid climate.

      > > Regards,

      Ray L.

      In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@ > wrote:

> [...]
      difficult question to address.  The degree of sensitivity to the thousands of compounds found in and around the home makes the investigation a daunting task.

      with the new delivery.  Are you or the wife sensitive to paints, oils, solvents?  Keep in mind that these may include acetone, MEK, xylem and a bunch of other stuff.    If so, leaving the unit "outside"  in the sun for a week should bake the solvents out.

      sensitivity to mold, fungus, etc... look at cleaning the unit with a degreaser, e.g., WD-40, paint thinner, followed by a strong disinfectant  followed by drying followed by a wipe-down with WD-40.

      > > > Don't
      forget to apply a coat of oil. WD-40 is -NOT- oil. It will evaporate and everything will start rusting.

      > > > Steve
      Greenfield

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic