      From: cnc4cheap
      Sent: Tuesday, August 04, 2009 6:54 PM
      Subject: [mill_drill] Re: New Mill Odor (WD-40 extracted)

      Proponents of WD-40,

      WD-40 is absolutely one of the poorest rust preventatives that you could ever use. Not only is it a poor rust preventative but the damn oil will stain your iron. If you need a rust preventative then do yourself a favor and purchase a product that is formulated for that purpose.

      C4C

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Ray Livingston" <jagboy@...> wrote:

      > The "fact" that it is "not oil" is irrelevent. WD-40 works very well to protect against rust, if re-applied every few months. It's all I've ever used to protect my machines, and none of them have a speck of rust on them, despite the fact that I live in a very humid climate.
      >
      > Regards,
      > Ray L.
      >

      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Steve" <alienrelics@ > wrote:
      > >
      > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@ > wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Hi,
      > > >
      > > > That is a difficult question to address.  The degree of sensitivity to the thousands of compounds found in and around the home makes the investigation a daunting task.
      > > >
      > > > The problem started with the new delivery.  Are you or the wife sensitive to paints, oils, solvents?  Keep in mind that these may include acetone, MEK, xylem and a bunch of other stuff.    If so, leaving the unit "outside"  in the sun for a week should bake the solvents out.
      > > >
      > > > The term musty caught my eye - if there is sensitivity to mold, fungus, etc... look at cleaning the unit with a degreaser, e.g., WD-40, paint thinner, followed by a strong disinfectant  followed by drying followed by a wipe-down with WD-40.
      > > >

      > > Don't forget to apply a coat of oil. WD-40 is -NOT- oil. It will evaporate and everything will start rusting.
      > >
      > > Steve Greenfield

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic