24285Re: New Mill Odor

  • Denis
    Aug 2, 2009
      You may want to repaint these surfaces with a non-toxic paint just incase they are toxic. My HF 9x20 lathe has always had a slight smell to it but nothing what you're describing. I've given it some thought to stipping the paint off the lathe and repainting it with a good paint. The paint that was applied to it is real crap, cutting oil strips it.

      Denis

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "jfrxbd" <superglide96@...> wrote:

      > I finally received my HF Mill Drill 33686 on July 21. When I unloaded the mill and stand (still in the crates) in my small drive under garage they smelled real bad. At first I thought it was the crate lumber and it probably was a large part of the problem but after getting all the crate lumber out of the house this machine still has a odor about it.
      > I cleaned all the caked on protective grease off and that didn't seem to be the problem. Now as best I can tell it seems to be the black paint used inside the stand and in the table T-Sots and possibly the belt shroud itself.
      > I cleaned all surfaces inside and out on this thing but I still can't seem to get rid of this musky (make my throat dry) odor.
      > I can deal with it but I think it has made my wife sick (allergic).
      > I know all the garbage I've heard the Chinese have putt in toys, dog food, etc.; I'm wondering what they might be using on these machines.
      > Has anyone else had a problem with odor?

    • Show all 25 messages in this topic