      From: Ray Livingston <jagboy@...>
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Sent: Wednesday, July 1, 2009 8:22:28 AM
      Subject: [mill_drill] Re: Manuals

      A good way to tighten an R8 is to get it finger tight, then give it another 1/4-1/2 turn with a wrench. 1/2 turn puts about 4500 pounds tension on the drawbar which is enough to keep any tool in place, even in a collet. If using "hard" R8-shanked holders, like endmill holders and boring heads, or on a benchtop machine, 1/4 turn should be more than plenty. Even at 1/2 turn, it should take just one tap with a dead-blow to release the taper.

      Regards,
      Ray L.

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, Curt Wuollet <wideopen1@. ..> wrote:

      > And they shouldn't really need
      > to be torqued to the max. With
      > the MT3 spindle, I just jerk it
      > to use the inertia of the spindle.
      > Gets it tight enough, much more
      > and you have to beat on it to get
      > it loose again. R8 is a steeper
      > taper so it might need a bit more
      > but you don't want to get too
      > carried away there either.
      >
      > Regards
      > cww
      >
      > Alex Fraser wrote:
      > >

      > > Mine is belt driven, so I just hold on to the pulley.
      > > You got to have the lid open anyway to get to the bolt.
      > >
      > > jfrxbd wrote:
      > >>
      > >> Thanks all, between the Griz and the SF manual I think I've got the
      > >> gist of this drill mill. I have made a few chips with a Bridgeport
      > >> and I don't see a spindle lock on a Drill Mill.
      > >> How do you lock the spindle when loosening or tightening a tool in an
      > >> R8 collet?
      > >>
      > >> --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com
      > >> <mailto:mill_ drill%40yahoogro ups.com>, Curt Wuollet <wideopen1@>

      > > --
      > > No electrons were harmed in the creation of this message

    • Show all 10 messages in this topic