23002Re: Fixing a rough running Power Feed.

  • Denis
    Feb 1, 2009
      Hello Druid,
      Long time no hear???
      It was worth the effort going through it. I never though it worked
      correctly, it shouldn't have that little grind that it had.

      Do you have a lathe?

      Denis

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@...>
      wrote:

      > Hi Denis,
      >
      > Good deal - I'll shut off the main motor on mine and take a closer
      look & listen.  I did notice the dial is a bit off, (similar to your
      system ?) but ignored it.

      > Again, thanks for the reminders.
      >
      > Take care,
      > DBN

      Today I
      > decided to investigate and see If I can find the problem. I don't
      > expect the X handle to move as smooth as the Y handle because of
      the
      > Power Feed motor. I took the motor off and removed the gear off of
      the
      > X Axis shaft. I then turned down a 3/4" shaft to 17mm to match the
      hole
      > in the gear. Without removing the shaft from the lathe chuck I
      > installed the gear on the end of it. I then very slightly touched
      the
      > gear with the lathe cutter and turned the chuck by hand to see if
      the
      > gear is round. Sure enough, it was out. I proceeded to cut the
      > circumference of the gear until it was round in relation to the
      center
      > hole. It didn't take too much cutting to make it round.
      >
      > I also indicated the shaft at the motor end of the Mill table. It
      was
      > dead on, no problem here, but the X Axis handle was still dragging
      > little. Taking a closer look at the dial at the motor end of the
      table
      > I noticed it was slightly crooked. I removed the dial and faced it
      > little in the lathe and reinstalled it. Without the Power Feed
      > installed the X handle moves beautiful just like the Y Axis handle.
      >
      > I reinstalled the gear on the X Axis, installed the motor and put
      the
      > Power Feed through it's paces. It ran very well and much quieter
      than
      > it ever has. It always had that oscillating sound, smooth/grind,
      smooth
      > grind. With the gear nice and round the sound is consistently
      smooth.
      > The hand wheel is much easier to operate now.
      >
      > Denis

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic