      From: Denis <zapvss@...>
      Subject: [mill_drill] Fixing a rough running Power Feed.
      To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      Date: Sunday, February 1, 2009, 4:19 PM

      Hi All,
      Ever since I received my G0484 Mill back in Sept 2008, turning the X
      Axis handle has never been as smooth as the Y Axis handle. There has
      alway been a single spot in it revolution that it would stick. Today I
      decided to investigate and see If I can find the problem. I don't
      expect the X handle to move as smooth as the Y handle because of the
      Power Feed motor. I took the motor off and removed the gear off of the
      X Axis shaft. I then turned down a 3/4" shaft to 17mm to match the hole
      in the gear. Without removing the shaft from the lathe chuck I
      installed the gear on the end of it. I then very slightly touched the
      gear with the lathe cutter and turned the chuck by hand to see if the
      gear is round. Sure enough, it was out. I proceeded to cut the
      circumference of the gear until it was round in relation to the center
      hole. It didn't take too much cutting to make it round.

      I also indicated the shaft at the motor end of the Mill table. It was
      dead on, no problem here, but the X Axis handle was still dragging a
      little. Taking a closer look at the dial at the motor end of the table
      I noticed it was slightly crooked. I removed the dial and faced it a
      little in the lathe and reinstalled it. Without the Power Feed
      installed the X handle moves beautiful just like the Y Axis handle.

      I reinstalled the gear on the X Axis, installed the motor and put the
      Power Feed through it's paces. It ran very well and much quieter than
      it ever has. It always had that oscillating sound, smooth/grind, smooth
      grind. With the gear nice and round the sound is consistently smooth.
      The hand wheel is much easier to operate now.

      Denis

    • Show all 11 messages in this topic