      From: Denis
      Sent: Thursday, January 01, 2009 2:49 AM
      Subject: [mill_drill] Re: Completed Chuck Backplate for the Rotary Table.

      Ed,
      My Bison chuck is a 3 jaw. I like it very much, it is always dead on.
      I bought it 2 years ago from Enco when it was on sale.

      I bought a few TurboCAD Pro courses from:

      http://www.cadcours e.com

      Check out the free course at:

      http://www.cadcours e.com/subscripti on/cadcoursemovi epass.html

      Not all parts of the course work.

      I ended up buying them, again on sale. They are worth it, gets you up
      on the learning curve fast.

      Denis

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Ed" <ekadlec@... > wrote:

      > Denis,
      >
      > I'm familiar with SpeedyMetals. That's where I've been buying my
      metal
      > lately because living in Minnesota the shipping charges are
      reasonable
      > and their prices are as good as anywhere else.
      > I also have TurboCAD but haven't done much with it. It seems to
      have a
      > steep learning curve. I've been using SolidEdge2D and love it but it
      > does not do 3D like TurboCAD does.
      > How do you like your Bison chuck? Is it a 4-jaw? I'm looking for a
      > good quality 6" 4-jaw chuck for my 9x20 lathe and Bison is at the
      top
      > of the list. They aren't cheap but I think they are a few steps
      above
      > the China made chucks.
      >
      > Ed
      >
      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Denis" <zapvss@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Thanks Ed,
      > > It took a while because with little experience, I have to think
      twice
      > > before starting a cut. I also laid everything out using TurboCAD.
      CAD
      > > is great.
      > >
      > > I bought a 6x2" piece from SeedyMetals in New Berlin Wis., about
      45
      > > minutes from here. I paid $30 for it. They also sell online:
      > >
      > > http://www.speedyme tals.com/ default.aspx
      > >
      > > I have a 9x20 HF lathe with a Bison 6" chuck with reverseable
      jaws.
      > > It has no problems turning a 6" piece but 6" is the max. I pimped
      out
      > > the lathe with a DRO, variable speed DC motor and a QCTP.
      > >
      > > Denis
      > >
      > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "Ed" <ekadlec@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > Denis,
      > > >
      > > > Very nice job on the backplate!
      > > > What lathe do you have that you used to turn that big honkin'
      piece
      > > of
      > > > cast iron? Where did you get that big honkin' piece of cast
      iron?
      > > Must
      > > > have cost an arm and a leg, and maybe your first child. ;)
      > > >
      > > > Ed

    • Show all 32 messages in this topic