19834Re: [mill_drill] Re: weight of pieces following RF45 disassembly

  • Druid Noibn
    May 2 1:20 PM
      Hi John,

      I used to design and manufacture stepper motor drivers and power supplies, but that was a few decades ago and most were for optical systems.  We used the 87xx series of Intel prcesors and developed a rather nice micro-stepping routine.  Now it is all a bit easier.

      The DRO here is only because I got it cheap (it's a Grizzly and $200, I was lucky).  I do plan on adding steppers to the system, but there is no strong need at the moment, especially as this unit has x-axis and head-lift motors.  But it will be done.

      Also keep in mind that you are not only moving the table, but also whatever you put on it and the force of cutting the material.  It does seem that some vendors are being rather creative with motor specifications of late, e.g., very high holding power but low drive torque.

      Several members have CNCed their systems, you will hear from others.

      Enjoy making chips!

      Take care,
      DBN

      John Hansford <kz1927@...> wrote:
      I was thinking about the DRO...but I'm going to
      do another one of my usual bending of common
      sense rules here...;)

      I noticed the motion is much smoother than I'd
      have expected. A plain old 250 oz. stepper motor at
      34VDC will move it with no trouble I'm 100%
      sure. So as I have some 1/2-10 2-start acme on
      hand, I'm going to cnc the X & Y for now with
      just plain old Delrin nuts. It'll be a pretty
      easy 1 day project. That'll work very well enough
      to go ahead and mill out some better aluminum
      parts for the longer term.

      I'm figuring for basically the same $$$ as the DRO,
      I'll just cnc it in a few steps. I Know already
      that many will say you *Must* use ballscrews, but
      from my experience here with Delrin and Acme,
      absolute satisfactory results are very easily
      and cheaply done. Just how well it works is yet
      to be seen, but I swear I have some great faith that
      it'll be far more durable than many would expect....;)

      Once I get a little free time...

      :)
      John

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@ ...> wrote:

      > Hi John,
      >
      > I do like my "45" although I was hit with a few snags - the head
      leaked and I took the approach that I would only do so much to address
      a warranty item. Truth be told, Grizzly offered to repair/replace the
      whole system - BUT...after moving the tonnage (long story, posted
      earlier) I was inclined to only have the head repaired. They did, and
      it looks to be working fine, so far. I need to do a few more tests.

      > Is the system perfect? No. If I wanted an order of magnitude
      better, I would pay the far higher $$$. I am happy with the unit so
      far, but I will keep an objective eye open <smile>.

> [...]
      > made a goooood decision...: )
      >
      > John
      >
      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, Druid Noibn <druid_noibn@ > wrote:
      > >
      > > Hi John,
      > >
      > > Congrats! My '45' is from Grizzly, the G0485 and it also had to
      > be disassembled to move into my place; the added feature was the 200
      > LB cast iron base.
      > >
      > > To remove the table, you need to pull the gib - it had to be done
      > as it was too dangerous to leave the table on here.
      > >
      > > Again great news, you will have a lot of fun with the unit!
      > >
      > > Take care,
      > > DBN
      > >
      > > John Hansford <kz1927@> wrote:
      > > FWIW....
      > > I used a sort of crane to do the moving of parts.
      > > A thing that lifts people into a wheelchair I
      > > think...I got it from somewhere for parts. HF
      > > was out of the engine hoist cranes and nobody
      > > near me rents one. I just got lucky...;)
      > >
      > > I looked at the Industrial Hobbies disassembly
      > > procedures.. ..very similar. I also downloaded
      > > the similar model manual from Grizzly. Both
      > > very helpful to see how things fit.
      > >
      > > 3 bolts hold the head on. I thought it was only
      > > 2 for the first hour...;)
      > > But, a chain placed in about the middle of the
      > > head didn't bind into motor wires or against
      > > any parts of concern. It proved to be a perfect
      > > balance of the head with the motor still
      > > attached when lifted away from the column.
      > > scary, but it was a near perfect balance.
      > >
      > > The 4 bolts for the column were next. I just
      > > "walked" it off the pallet....took off the plastic
      > > top cap and used a chain to lift it and move
      > > it. I used an old towel wrapped under the chain
      > > to avoid too much scratching up.
      > >
      > > The bondo cracks away...but no avoiding that.
      > >
      > > I *was* going to remove the table, but it was
      > > getting late and cloudy and couldn't figure
      > > it out. It has roll pins locking the screw
      > > somewhat permanently in place. The roll
      > > pins need to be carefully punched out to
      > > get the table off. I think I found out that
      > > from the Industrial Hobbies site.
      > >
      > > So anyways....the Enco ways were in Great
      > > condition! Nothing like what I feared from
      > > weeks of homework. VERY nice enough to need
      > > no attention. I have to say that after those
      > > long hours of studying up on which mill to
      > > buy....I was going to go with Lathemaster. ..then
      > > Grizzly...then WT....but everyone was out!
      > > I'm Exceptionally pleased with the Enco.
      > >
      > > Aside from cleaning of a relatively small
      > > amount of cosmoline... .mine works out of the box.
      > > Well fitted and smooth operation. Even tramming
      > > is easy.
      > >
      > > But it is one Heavy S.O.B.!
      > >
      > > Hope that's useful...;)
      > >
      > > John
      > >
      > > --- In mill_drill@yahoogro ups.com, "John Hansford" <kz1927@> wrote:
      > > >
      > > > I just got one from Enco....they have them in stock
      > > > and on sale. It came in Excellent condition... :)
      > > >
      > > > It took a LOT of VERY careful work to move it
      > > > by myself in 3 pieces. I won't try that again...;)

      Try it now.