19828Re: [mill_drill] Re: weight of pieces following RF45 disassembly

  • Druid Noibn
    May 2, 2008
      Hi John,

      Congrats!  My '45' is from Grizzly, the G0485 and it also had to be disassembled to move into my place; the added feature was the 200 LB cast iron base.

      To remove the table, you need to pull the gib - it had to be done as it was too dangerous to leave the table on here.

      Again great news, you will have a lot of fun with the unit!

      Take care,
      DBN

      John Hansford <kz1927@...> wrote:
      FWIW....
      I used a sort of crane to do the moving of parts.
      A thing that lifts people into a wheelchair I
      think...I got it from somewhere for parts. HF
      was out of the engine hoist cranes and nobody
      near me rents one. I just got lucky...;)

      I looked at the Industrial Hobbies disassembly
      procedures.. ..very similar. I also downloaded
      the similar model manual from Grizzly. Both
      very helpful to see how things fit.

      3 bolts hold the head on. I thought it was only
      2 for the first hour...;)
      But, a chain placed in about the middle of the
      head didn't bind into motor wires or against
      any parts of concern. It proved to be a perfect
      balance of the head with the motor still
      attached when lifted away from the column.
      scary, but it was a near perfect balance.

      The 4 bolts for the column were next. I just
      "walked" it off the pallet....took off the plastic
      top cap and used a chain to lift it and move
      it. I used an old towel wrapped under the chain
      to avoid too much scratching up.

      The bondo cracks away...but no avoiding that.

      I *was* going to remove the table, but it was
      getting late and cloudy and couldn't figure
      it out. It has roll pins locking the screw
      somewhat permanently in place. The roll
      pins need to be carefully punched out to
      get the table off. I think I found out that
      from the Industrial Hobbies site.

      So anyways....the Enco ways were in Great
      condition! Nothing like what I feared from
      weeks of homework. VERY nice enough to need
      no attention. I have to say that after those
      long hours of studying up on which mill to
      buy....I was going to go with Lathemaster. ..then
      Grizzly...then WT....but everyone was out!
      I'm Exceptionally pleased with the Enco.

      Aside from cleaning of a relatively small
      amount of cosmoline... .mine works out of the box.
      Well fitted and smooth operation. Even tramming
      is easy.

      But it is one Heavy S.O.B.!

      Hope that's useful...;)

      John