18938Re: Machine selection for a newbie

  • kben77
    Jan 1, 2008
      Hi Ed,

      I like it a lot ! I actually got a 2 HP motor when I think it is
      listed as 1 Hp or 1.5 Hp. If you buy one try and get a discount. I
      bought $600 worth of tooling and they sold me the mill for $1250. So,
      they definitely have room to wiggle on price.

      Thanks for reminding me about the Y-travel, that is why I bought it
      from PennToolCo. My mill came in good condition. I went to the
      http://www.industrialhobbies.com/ website and under the mill tips
      followed the sections for casting cleanup and wash down

      I am new to all this and that site has a lot of good tips for cleaning
      the mill and tramming the head, etc...

      I am now in the market for x and z power feeds and a DRO for the x and
      y axis. The IH website above references an ASONG-235 for the x axis.
      They are on Ebay for about $180. PennToolCo has an x powerfeed listed
      for $275. I will probably get a 2 axis DRO from www.cdcotools.com or
      one from www.meisterdro.com.

      Also, I have cut some pretty heavy duty mystery steel with it and have
      not had any problems. :)

      Regards,
      Kevin

      > Hi Kevin,
      >
      > How do you like your Penn Tools RF-45? That is the one I want to get
      > in the next few months. I like the fact that the 'Y' travel is 9".
      > Most of the other RF-45 clones have a 7.5 - 8" 'Y' travel.
      > The new Grizzly mill is a good deal if you can live with the smaller
      > work envelope. I like all the power feeds on it.
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic