18924Re: Machine selection for a newbie

  • ceb_fangler
    Jan 1, 2008
      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, rgsparber@... wrote:

      > Chuck,
      >
      > One bit of good and common wisdom is to start by going to a
      community
      > college to better understand what you want to do and what class of
      machine you
      > really want. I did this many years ago and it helped me a lot.
      What machine you
      > buy is such a personal choice, I really doubt anyone on the web
      knows you well
      > enough to recommend your ideal machine.
      >
      > Another bit of great advice I received early in my journey is to
      read as
      > much as you can about your new hobby. There are many wonderful
      books plus a huge
      > amount of knowledge on the various yahoo group achieves.
      >
      > Furthermore, if you can join a local metal club, you will get face
      to face
      > help. I was in a metal club in IL for many years and now belong to
      one in AZ.
      > Both groups have been extremely generous with their knowledge.
      >
      > Rick
      > rgsparber@...
      > web site: http://rick.sparber.org

      I'll check out the community college when the semester starts up
      again. I've picked up several books on the topic they've definitely
      thrown gas on the fire so to speak :)

      There's a club http://www.cams-club.org/ that meets about n hour and
      a half drive from me. I plan to make it to a meeting and learn more
      about them.

      Nice website by the way. You have some great info there!

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, figNoggle <david@...> wrote:

      > hi chuck-
      >
      > if space and budget allows, go for the larger mill from any of the
      vendors
      > ed mentioned. we still use our x2 for production parts under cnc
      (our own
      > conversion), but make use of the rf-45 clone from enco (when
      purchased on
      > sale w/free shipping) quite frequently.
      >
      > having said that, starting with an x2 is a great way to get started
      in
      > your garage. one advantage of working with a smaller machine is
      that it
      > challenges you to think about how to work around the work envelope
      > constraints.
      >
      > hope this helps!
      > david

      Well I've had several people recommend the X3 or RF45 machines if I
      had ANY thoughts at all of working larger projects. My budget is
      $3000, MAXIMUM but I certainly wouldn't complain if I spend less. LoL!

      Chuck
    • Show all 21 messages in this topic