18773Re: Plug Removal

  • leasingham_connelly
    Dec 5, 2007
      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "roylpopecharternet" <rlpope@...>
      wrote:

      > Anyone have a good method for removing the plug from a bi-metal
      hole
      > saw after cutting a hole in steel???
      >
      > I'm not too happy trying to jab them out with a small screwdriver.
      >
      > Thanks,
      > Roy

      The problem with hole saws is that they can warm up when used. This
      makes them expand and the plug then gets trapped as the saw cools
      when the cut is finished. You could try backing out before you get
      all the way thru, let the saw cool then clean up the groove with the
      cool blade before finishing the hole. As Miker suggested you can fit
      a spring, Starrett sell them for this purpose but any suitable
      strength and size should do. Rexarino's idea of two opposing holes
      is also workable, if drilling into material that is more than 16
      gauge then a hole at the periphery is recommended for chips to
      escape thru so that it does not build up in the groove and cause
      heat build up due to excessive rubbing. A good quality arbor is also
      essential. One that has a nut that clamps the back plate down onto
      the saw is much better than the spring loaded type that leave the
      blade loose to rattle about the drive pins.

      If you have a regular requirement to use a hole saw of a particular
      size consider getting a broach type cutter. They give a much cleaner
      hole and last a long time if used correctly. They can be mounted in
      a 3/4" or 19mm collet and are far better than holesaws on stainless
      steel.

      Martin
    • Show all 6 messages in this topic