18481Re: [mill_drill] Switch Question...

  • Curt Wuollet
    Oct 1, 2007
      No, the switch handle should not be "Grounded" to
      neutral. It should be grounded to ground for exactly
      the reason you encountered. Because neutral in a
      single phase system carries current, it is not Ground.
      The frame of the machine and any metallic parts not
      double insulated should be grounded and it is really
      a good idea to ensure that it is, in case your fine chinese
      motor should leak a little or uses insulation that will
      absorb moisture. With todays 3 wire system this
      just shouldn't happen if the ground is connected.
      When working in damp locations, I've formed the
      habit of very lightly brushing my finger tips across
      electrical gear before trusting it. You can detect
      even low voltages because it feels "buzzy", for
      lack of a better way to describe it. And if it's
      actually hot, your reflexes do the right thing.
      It comes from the old two wire days when picking
      up your guitar or bumping a mic with your lip,
      you ran a 50/50 chance of getting zapped the
      first time it was plugged in. Reversing the plug
      _usually_ fixed it. That's why grounding things
      to neutral is a bad idea and they did away with
      it. Chassis were never actually tied to neutral
      but they usually had a capacitor to neutral to
      cut down on hum.

      Regards
      cww

      --
      Franklin D. Roosevelt Wrote about that other famous monopoly in 1938:
      "The liberty of a democracy is not safe if the people tolerate the growth of
      private power to a point where it becomes stronger than their democratic State
      itself. That in it's essence, is Fascism - ownership of government by an
      individual, by a group or by any controlling private power." But the
      conviction of Standard Oil stood. Our government is already powerless
      against today's monopoly. Only the people can prevail.
    • Show all 2 messages in this topic