      From: "harterjohn" <harterj@...>
      To: <mill_drill@yahoogroups.com>
      Sent: Monday, April 30, 2007 11:21 PM
      Subject: [mill_drill] What size Rotary Table for my RF-31?

      Hi all,
      I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a 6" or an 8" rotary table
      for my RF-31. I don't have a specific project in mind yet - but I
      want to have the RT available for when I do!

      Gut feel tells me that "bigger is better", but I'd appreciate the
      views of the group on a couple of points:

      1) Will a typical 8" RT actually mount on the table of an RF-31, in
      both the horizontal and vertical modes, conveniently? (ie could I
      expect the table T-slots and RT mounting points to be "compatible")

      2) Given that "rigidity is everything", could I expect a similar
      precision/finish for a given part manufactured on a 6" or 8" RT
      (given that the part isn't oversized for the 6"). ie would the 8" RT
      necessarily produce better results, simply because it is
      more "solid".

      There is a big difference in the mass (and price!) of the 2 RTs, and
      I think the 6" would be big enough for the kind of work that I do,
      but I don't want to buy something that I have to "nurse along" in
      order to get good results! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

      regards,
      John in Australia

      Yahoo! Groups Links
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic