17734RE: [mill_drill] What size Rotary Table for my RF-31?

  • Joe Williams
    May 1, 2007
      John,

      Great question! I'm in precisely the same position and was wondering the
      same thing. I'm thinking of cutting some gears eventually.

      -Joe

      >From: "harterjohn" <harterj@...>
      >To: mill_drill@yahoogroups.com
      >Subject: [mill_drill] What size Rotary Table for my RF-31?
      >Date: Tue, 01 May 2007 06:21:48 -0000
      >
      >Hi all,
      >I'm trying to decide whether to purchase a 6" or an 8" rotary table
      >for my RF-31. I don't have a specific project in mind yet - but I
      >want to have the RT available for when I do!
      >
      >Gut feel tells me that "bigger is better", but I'd appreciate the
      >views of the group on a couple of points:
      >
      >1) Will a typical 8" RT actually mount on the table of an RF-31, in
      >both the horizontal and vertical modes, conveniently? (ie could I
      >expect the table T-slots and RT mounting points to be "compatible")
      >
      >2) Given that "rigidity is everything", could I expect a similar
      >precision/finish for a given part manufactured on a 6" or 8" RT
      >(given that the part isn't oversized for the 6"). ie would the 8" RT
      >necessarily produce better results, simply because it is
      >more "solid".
      >
      >There is a big difference in the mass (and price!) of the 2 RTs, and
      >I think the 6" would be big enough for the kind of work that I do,
      >but I don't want to buy something that I have to "nurse along" in
      >order to get good results! Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!
      >
      >regards,
      >John in Australia

      Interest Rates NEAR 39yr LOWS! $430,000 Mortgage for $1,299/mo - Calculate
      new payment
      http://www.lowermybills.com/lre/index.jsp?sourceid=lmb-9632-19132&moid=14888
    • Show all 11 messages in this topic