15076Re: Harbor Freight Rotary Table - Part 2

  • miker557
    Apr 1, 2006
      Oka, first off, the scale around the table goes "00-10-20-30-40-50-
      60-70-80-90-10-20-30-40-50-60-70-80", and then repeats. the 2nd "10"
      mark is 90 degrees away from the first "10" mark, which could be
      confusing if you're looking to set it up at 100 degress or 110
      degrees. Also, the 2nd "80" mark is actually 170 degrees from
      the "00" mark. Are you willing to try and keep track of where you
      should add 10 degrees or subtract 90, just to keep from screwing up
      your project? If they had marked it "00-90" four times, I could
      understand - but the system they have is just stupid.

      The photo of the dividing plate was supposed to show the crude
      finish of the brass "scissors". I could do better with the hand
      tools I have. Yes, it works, but it's a quality issue for me - if
      I'm going to pay the money, by God I expect there to be quality.

      The HF unit weighed 49lbs. as delivered by UPS - the JTS unit was
      37lbs. If the HF unit required that extra mass to obtain the
      precision and rigidity needed, then I'd have to question the quality
      of the materials they put into their product. As someone who's had
      their spine fused twice, I do not appreciate the excess weight,
      especially when a judicious application of intelligence could have
      alliviated the problem (simply compare to 6" tables that anyone else

      As for customer service - when I called HF on the phone, I
      specifically asked if I could return the unit to the local store
      (Richardson, Texas), instead of them speding the money to ship it
      back. I was told that the stores only accept returns from store-
      bought merchandise.

      I did receive the return service card on Thursday, and it went in
      the mail yesterday. I'm waiting to see when (and how much) my credit
      card is refunded.

      > I'm not sure what the real complaint is here. I have the HF 8"
      > of this RT and I've been real happy with is so far. I find the
      00/90 as
      > a help in referencing things, and I don't understand the picture
      > the dividing plates at all. True, the finish is not the same as
      > other RT's, but for the $179.95 that I paid, I think it was a
      bargain. I
      > have been using mine exclusively for cutting slots in cylinders and
      > ribber dials for antique sock machines with a slitting saw and
      ball end
      > mill, and I have now cut up to 80 slots, what a job. There are
      > pictures in the file, Mark's stuff. If this RT didn't index and
      > right, I'd be dead. Do I want a better one? Yes. Don't we all? But
      as a
      > starter RT for someone on a limit bugdet, I don't think you will be
      > going wrong. Yes, sometimes the things from HF can be, how shall
      we say,
      > not so good, but that can be addressed, and I have been told that
      > can take internet items back to the HF store for a return, and the
      > near me could not be more helpful and accomadating. HF, Enco, JTS
      > the others all have products to sell, and all of them have their
      > problems, when you have to deal with them, they have their
      > also . Maybe this RT isn't what you were expecting, but I fail to
      > anything that says it's junk. If you have a complaint, explain it
      > that we can all have some info and insight, but please stop
      > something that seams to be working just fine for others simply
      > you might think it is not want you thought it was. It might be
      > perfect for someone else.
      > Where did you find your RT at JTS Machinery? I couln't find it on
      > website? It looks like a nice RT, keep us updated on how it
      performs, if
      > you will. I am looking to upgade someday.
      > Mark
      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "miker557" <mikaelc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Have posted a new album with photos of the Harbor Freight 6"
      > > table next to the chinese-made unit I got from JTS Machinery
      > > folks, by the way). Judge for yourselves which one looks more
      > > but my HF unit is being shipped back tomorrow. That's a Rockwell
      > > milling machine that both RT's are on, by the way.
      > >

      > > Mike

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic