15073Re: Harbor Freight Rotary Table - Part 2

  • mark
    Apr 1, 2006
      The 8" looks like the 6" unit, just larger. My point is that you are
      never totally sure what you will get from HF, or anybody. My HF mill,
      that I bought at the store, was advertised as their 1 1/2hp unit,
      same as all the rest. In the crate was a 2hp, solid column mill. I
      cleaned the shipping goop off it, checked a couple of things for
      accuracy, adjusted nothing, is it perfect, no, but I have been
      totally happy since I first started using it. Is everything HF ships
      like this. NO. The 9x20 lathe that I bought was a piece of crap.
      Fortunately for me, I found a fantastic Logan 10x24, and since the HF
      lathe was within 90 days of purchase, the store took it back, no
      questions asked, grinding head stock bearing and all. The manager
      even appologized for me being unhappy, and he's been great to me ever
      since. Is some of what HF sells shoddy, yes, does the quality vary
      from shipment to shipment, it can, is it always this way, no. I
      bought a 6" Bison chuck from Enco for my Logan. I was making some
      things when I started to notice a problem when I rechucked. The chuck
      was running over .004 out of round, way out of spec. Enco said I had
      to deal with Bison. Bison said that there was no way to guarantee
      that their chuck would fit my 1946 Americam made 1 1/2" spindle,
      which speced at 1.50" and was running dead on. So I said, their specs
      meant nothing, unless I had the "needle in a haystack" spindle that
      it would work on, and I could have saved several hundred dollars by
      buying some cheap one from HF, right. They replaced the chuck, no
      expense to me, and it's out just over .001, great chuck, love it.
      Welcome to the new world. CHEAP is setting the new standard, and what
      ever gets made gets shipped. Hopefully by paying more you will get
      better tooling, but not always.

      Mark

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "jrd" <jrd@...> wrote:

      > Mark:
      >
      > Maybe a big difference between his HF 6" and your HF 8"?
      >
      > Jake

      But as a
      > starter RT for someone on a limit bugdet, I don't think you will
      be
      > going wrong. Yes, sometimes the things from HF can be, how shall
      we say,
      > not so good, but that can be addressed, and I have been told
      that you
      > can take internet items back to the HF store for a return, and
      the store
      > near me could not be more helpful and accomadating. HF, Enco,
      JTS and
      > the others all have products to sell, and all of them have their
      > problems, when you have to deal with them, they have their
      problems
      > also . Maybe this RT isn't what you were expecting, but I fail to
      see
      > anything that says it's junk. If you have a complaint, explain
      it so
      > that we can all have some info and insight, but please stop
      trashing
      > something that seams to be working just fine for others simply
      because
      > you might think it is not want you thought it was. It might be
      just
      > perfect for someone else.
      >
      > Where did you find your RT at JTS Machinery? I couln't find it on
      there
      > website? It looks like a nice RT, keep us updated on how it
      performs, if
      > you will. I am looking to upgade someday.
      >
      > Mark
      >
      > --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "miker557" <mikaelc@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Have posted a new album with photos of the Harbor Freight 6"
      rotary
      > > table next to the chinese-made unit I got from JTS Machinery
      (nice
      > > folks, by the way). Judge for yourselves which one looks more
      capable,
      > > but my HF unit is being shipped back tomorrow. That's a Rockwell
      > > milling machine that both RT's are on, by the way.
      > >

      > > Mike

      of Service.

    • Show all 12 messages in this topic