13592Re: Rong-Fu Mill questions

  • Bill Pace
    Dec 1, 2005
      Sounds like youve got a case of "gummed" lubricant. This is prone to
      happen when my milldrill sits idle, I just start spraying on
      whatever spray lube is handy, WD-40, etc, to loosen it up, usually
      doesnt take much. Lower the quill as far as will go and wet it down
      & wipe off, with it back up, look all over to find a peep hole to
      spray on it in the up position. When freed up ,I usually put a light
      coat of LPS on it, but most any of the spray lubes will suffice if
      done on a fairly often schedule. The same thing will happen to the
      lead screws and ways on the tables, so a shot on them at the same
      time is a good idea.

      Sounds like you got quite a find there in the "Birmy" (I got a 12x36
      Birmy lathe and really like it)

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "konsumingfire"
      <konsumingfire@y...> wrote:

      > I purchased a used bench mill recently, and have some questions
      > about it. It is badged as a Birmingham, "made in taiwan", and
      looks
      > exactly like the RF-30/31.
      >
      > The main problem I am having is that it has sat for a little while
      > after I got it and the spindle has become more difficult to move
      up
      > and down with the spoke handle. It still moves vertically but is
      > pretty darn sticky. When I first got it, it was nice and smooth.
      > made certain to undo the fixed bolt that locks the spindle in
      place
      > for machining work. Tightening the bolt makes it stick solidly.
      > However, loosening it only allows sticky movement.
      > I am assuming it needs lubricating, but am not certain where or
      how
      > to oil, or if it needs grease instead. I am hesitant to use oil
      > until I know it won't wash out any grease. The manual is in
      > Chinglish and is impossible to decipher exactly how to lubricate.
      > It keeps talking about "filling the lubricant" which makes it
      sound
      > like there is a reservoir on the machine. If there is one I
      haven't
      > found it!
      > I am assuming I need to take off the depth stop gauge cover or
      > something to get to the rack sleeve behind it???
      > Any ideas on what I need to do? What kind of oil/grease should I
      > use?
      >
      > The history of my machine is that I got it from an old timer who
      > used it for one quick job, made a stack of change, and then it sat
      > in his storage unit for a few months. While in there, he had it
      > tarped but a water leak in the roof got on it, and leaked through
      > the new tarp. The only damage from that was surface rust on about
      > 2/3 of the table. He oiled the surface as soon as he discovered
      it,
      > but did not fix the rust because he was going to sell it and
      wanted
      > to leave it up to the new owner how best to fix it. After I
      bought
      > it, I got a flat knife sharpening stone and within a few minutes
      > removed the rust (which was like a varnish, mostly) and then re-
      > oiled it.
      > When I got it the table rust was the only thing wrong with it,
      > except it was missing all its tooling, which I remedied over the
      > past few months. The machine itself is in pretty sharp condition
      > otherwise. I don't think it got any water down the spindle, so
      I'm
      > not worried about any corrosion in there.
      >
      > I am completely new and ignorant to machining work. I am anxious
      > get started, and need some advice on fixing this problem.
      >
      > Many thanks,
      > Rick

    • Show all 4 messages in this topic