13529Re: HF 42827 basic questions

  • Robert George
    Nov 7, 2005
      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "C.S. Mo" <cs@v...> wrote:
      [From Richard]
      > > But how do I get the tables to operate smoothly? Right now, they
      > > are stiff.
      > >
      > > I presume there is packing grease down there under the tables also.

      You'll find a highly abrasive mix of cosmoline, casting sand, and cast
      iron swarf under the table (and in the gear head and quill assembly).

      > > Is it best to take them apart completely, clean and lube, then
      > > adjust the gibs?

      > Yes.

      I agree -- you definitely want to take the table off before you start
      moving it around and grinding that mess into the table ways, and
      abrading the x/y acme nuts.

      After you clean and oil everything, move the table around without
      completely re-assembling (you don't need to put the roll pins back
      in, for example) and adjust the gibs and the backlash screws on the
      acme nuts until the table moves smoothly.

      Robert
    • Show all 7 messages in this topic