10296Re: storing a mill

  • John
    Jul 2 4:49 PM
      The military used (and may still use) cosmoline to ensure metal
      didn't rust in storage. Also known as Par-al-ketone, it is available
      from a number of sources, e.g. Aircraft Spruce. It can be brushed on
      or thinned and sprayed, making it reasonably easy to apply. It
      doesn't dry for a very long time so minor scratches to the film are
      self-healing. The color is medium brown after application.

      The down side to it (and there's always a down side)is that it is
      hard to remove, much like the original preservative used on the
      mill.

      John

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, Matt Bushore <matt@j...> wrote:

      > I may be needing to put my mill drill into storage.
      >
      > Any suggestions for gunk to spray on it or other storage methods?
      >
      > I am in Iowa and it can get pretty humid here during the summer.
      >
      > thanks
      > Matt
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic