10292Re: stand height

  • chrisattebery
    Jul 2, 2004
      Guys,

      I built a stand for my mill/drill a couple years ago. Check out:

      http://www.metalworking.com/DropBox/_2002_retired_files/MillBench.jpg

      I do mostly small pieces and I hate stooping over to see what I'm
      doing, so the top of my vice is at 48". Sounds tall, but once you get
      the mill up to where you're not bent over the table you'll wonder how
      you worked on it before.

      Chris

      --- In mill_drill@yahoogroups.com, "John P. Labutski" <kd6wd@c...>
      wrote:
      > Well I am about six foot and I basically prefer a lower base. I
      have the lathemaster stand and its about 30" high. But, I prefer to
      bend over a bit and look down on the work. If I had my druthers I
      would prefer a stand about 28" high. Most guys like the 30" inch high
      stand. 38" inches is going to put chips up as high as your eyes.
      That kodak machine stand would make an excellent work table directly
      behind you and 38" inches would be a perfect height for a surface
      plate, tools, a sketch pad, etc. I had my 7045 up on my wood bench
      which is a bit over 33 1/2 inches high and it was way up there.

      > I just measured the lathemaster and the max height of the machine
      from the top of the stand it sits on to the top of the motor is about
      58" when the spindle is about 17 inches above the table. The width of
      the column is 8" plus.

      > Also, You might consider a 2x6 riser pad in front of it. If you use
      1x3 slats on it, it will be very easy on your feet. I used 3 1x4's
      with 1x3 slats and its very easy on the feet. Mine is about 6 feet
      long and 3 feet wide and the top is about 1 1/2" above the concrete
      floor.

      > John

      Service.
    • Show all 16 messages in this topic