Navy - Hawaii 2012

  • Ketzie
    Message 1 of 8 , Jun 2, 2010
      Hi,

      I will give a little background information first.

      We want to do an overseas tour. I would love Rota, Spain but not sure of services, schools, etc. So our other option is Hawaii. My son is currently 4.5 years old and was fully mainstreamed in 4K this past school year and will be going to Kindergarten next year fully mainstreamed with speech services for social/communication. Our ABA Supervisor told us our son most likely will not need ABA in 2 years due to all the progress he is making. His speech therapist has also said the same thing with speech and ABA. His developmental Pediatrian has released us from her services along with his OT.

      So, we think we are ready for an overseas assignment. We are Navy and I wanted to know if anyone could tell me a little more about Hawaii. I want to know where to move to get a good school. We can do private if necessary. I have read previous posts but they date 2 years ago so I wanted some updated information. I would probably want ABA as a backup incase of behaviors but maybe as a consultation. We will probably need speech, again not too much.

      I tried finding information online but cannot open the base websites. I am looking for housing information, location, and base services. Anyone have any information or websites I can visit please email me offline at ketzie79@... or send me your phone number and I can call you.

      Thank you,

      Ketzie
    • Lynn McIntosh
      Message 2 of 8 , Jun 3, 2010
        Ketzie,

        Call the Navy Fleet & Family Support Center at Pearl Harbor and get the School Liaison name and number.  We left Hawaii 6 months early because of the school issues.  Some people like the schools, but when it came to special education, I fought for what little services my son received and mainstreaming/inclusion is rare unless your child is high functioning and can pass the state tests.  It depends on what you want for your child.  I have friends who I met that lived on the Marine Corps base and were Navy and they got more services at the school there.  Just do your research.  I had always heard Hawaii schools were terrible, but thought you never know until you try.  My experience was a nightmare.  We are on Camp Lejeune, NC and my husband is Navy support.  I love the DODEA schools here on Lejeune.  They have inclusion and my son has never had such awesome services!  I found the Hawaii school liaison info for you.  Good luck!

        Hawaii Region School Liaison
        Elizabeth Gocong
        Region School Liaison Officer
        CNRH, MWR, CYP,
        Fulltime
        MWR, Child and Youth Programs
        4824 Bougainville Drive
        FFSC Room 280
        Honolulu, HI  96818
        Phone: 808-474-1999x6228
        DSN:
        FAX: 808-474-1997
        Web site: www.greatlifehawaii.com
        Email: elizabeth.gocong@...

        ________________________________

        Message 3 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
          I am curious about Hawaii as well. We are AD Army, and Schofield Barracks is a possibility for our next post. My son is 8, and has autism, but works at grade level in almost all of his subjects. He does, however need an aide with him in the mainstream classroom (for science and social studies, he can be a distraction with his stimming if he is not redirected), and he gets pulled out for reading and math. He attends all of the specials, lunch, and assemblies with his regular class. Does anyone have experience with the DoDDS school at Schofield? I have heard about the lack of inclusion as well, but I was wondering if that would be the case for us.

          Thanks for any info,

          Holley

        • mgr25@aol.com
          Message 4 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
            I hate to be negative and I always try to find the best in things. ex.
            everyone told us Ft. Bragg was terrible and we loved it there (didn't have
            kids then though). However, I am from HI and went to HI schools myself and I
            would never take a special needs kid there or any kid for a matter of
            fact. My son was in HI schools from 3-6 years old and it was terrible. Then
            we moved to VA and heard that typical kids are about 1-2 years behind when
            they PCS from HI to VA.
            Ok, that is enough of the negative. :) If your child is
            mainstreamed and you can provide him with extra work after school to make sure he
            doesn't get behind the mainland schools, I think you will be fine. HI is a
            beautiful state and has lots to do, especially outdoors activities. Best of
            luck to you!!
            Michele

          • Lynn McIntosh
            Message 5 of 8 , Jun 4, 2010
              FYI The schools in Hawaii on the bases are not DODEA schools.  They are Public Schools ran by the state with low money right now!  Check with the Army SLO.

              Hope this helps.

              Lynn

              ________________________________
              I am curious about Hawaii as well. We are AD Army, and Schofield Barracks is a possibility for our next post. My son is 8, and has autism, but works at grade level in almost all of his subjects. He does, however need an aide with him in the mainstream classroom (for science and social studies, he can be a distraction with his stimming if he is not redirected), and he gets pulled out for reading and math. He attends all of the specials, lunch, and assemblies with his regular class. Does anyone have experience with the DoDDS school at Schofield? I have heard about the lack of inclusion as well, but I was wondering if that would be the case for us.

              Thanks for any info,

              Holley
              --- In militaryfamiliesautismsupport@yahoogroups.com, Lynn McIntosh <navychaplainwife@...> wrote:

              > Ketzie,
              >
              > Call the Navy Fleet & Family Support Center at Pearl Harbor and get the School Liaison name and number.  We left Hawaii 6 months early because of the school issues.  Some people like the schools, but when it came to special education, I fought for what little services my son received and mainstreaming/inclusion is rare unless your child is high functioning and can pass the state tests.  It depends on what you want for your child.  I have friends who I met that lived on the Marine Corps base and were Navy and they got more services at the school there.  Just do your research.  I had always heard Hawaii schools were terrible, but thought you never know until you try.  My experience was a nightmare.  We are on Camp Lejeune, NC and my husband is Navy support.  I love the DODEA schools here on Lejeune.  They have inclusion and my son has never had such awesome services!  I found the Hawaii school liaison info for you.
              Good luck!

              > Hawaii Region School Liaison
              > Elizabeth Gocong
              > Region School Liaison Officer
              > CNRH, MWR, CYP,
              > Fulltime
              > MWR, Child and Youth Programs
              > 4824 Bougainville Drive
              > FFSC Room 280
              > Honolulu, HI  96818
              > Phone: 808-474-1999x6228
              > DSN:
              > FAX: 808-474-1997
              > Web site: www.greatlifehawaii.com
              > Email: elizabeth.gocong@...
              >

              > ________________________________

            • Jenny Lopez
              Message 6 of 8 , Jun 5, 2010
                We were in Hawaii for two and a half years. We hated it. Our son turned three there and we left before he started kindergarten. He was in preschool through the department of education. The schools are horrible, there are very few services available, it was a nightmare. We begged to leave early. There were 2 BCBA's with very long waiting lists. OT was through the school and only worked on fine motor but was very unreliable. The teachers are not well educated or trained (with the exception of the first one we met) and it is state law for the kids to learn Hawaiian (language and history) which I think is great for general Ed kids to learn about the people and the land in which they are living, but for my son who had a severe language delay and can barely grasp English, that was unacceptable. But they would not work with me and said it was mandatory (in special Ed preschool!!!)

                I would never go back or never recommend Hawaii for a child with autism or special needs.

                Otherwise, it was beautiful, the weather was perfect and we miss the beaches a lot!

                Hope this helps, sorry It sounds crazy, but I feel very strongly that EFMP families should not be sent there!

                Jenny

                Sent from my iP

              • jennycb21@yahoo.com
                Message 7 of 8 , Jun 5, 2010
                  Forgot to add that inclusion never happened for our son and we tried 2 different schools. Hawaii is very far behind in general ed as well, they don't have the funds or teachers available and are hiring anyone willing. My sons 2nd year of preschool he had a teacher with a BA in human resources, no education classes, only experience was working in a church daycare and no knowledge in special needs. This was a special ed class, the kids were between 3 and 4 and most had Autism. Called the school board and were told that they had a shortage and were taking anyone with a BA degree. Moved to a "better" school and it was the same crap. The teacher couldn't speak or write proper english, how was she supposed to teach children how to?
                  Also, the EFMP office on schofield isn't helpful or informative or active.
                  Oh, please don't base decisions on what therapists or doctors say as far as what your child will need in 2-3 years. We have heard timelines many times before only for them to come and go without the promised outcome.
                  It would be amazing if they were all accurate but the fact remains that no one can tell what the future will bring and its better to have services available and not need them than it is to need services and not have them available.
                  Just my opinion and also some things I wish someone would have told me several years ago.

                  Take care and good luck!
                  Jenny

                • amywiech@rocketmail.com
                  Message 8 of 8 , Aug 26, 2010
                    Hi everyone. Hawaii schools are hit and miss, I would say the other posters were pretty accurate with their descriptions. We provide ABA services via Autism Behavior Consulting Group, (ABC Group). We have 3 very experienced BCBAs, 1 BCABA, and 2 more sitting for certification in September. We have 12+ tutors/skills trainers. We utilize Skinner's Analysis of Verbal Behavior, use the VB MAPP, and/or ABLLS. We have collaborations with some of the local schools, and are also able to provide a "home school" situation for those families wanting more ABA and less public school. ABC Group has recently started a clinic/center setting, and are expanding to an area near Pearl Harbor that is amazing! This will allow us to implement full day school type programs. Our assessments are very thorough. We also provide respite for the Army. We also provide FREE parent training via Autism Training Solutions, e-training platform for parents of children receiving services via ABC Group. Our 4 BCBAs/BCABAs have over 47 years experience in ABA combined! If you would like more information, or an intake packet, please peruse our website (about to be redesigned) www.AutismBehaviorConsulting.com and also visit www.AutismTrainingSolutions.com . We are also on Facebook! Thank you for the opportunity to introduce myself, and our group of talented individuals! I would be glad to answer any questions anyone has in terms of PCSing to Hawaii! I have been here for over 16 years, so I will be able to answer many questions you may have at info@... Aloha!