Re: [Military Families Autism Support] info on bases

  • Mary Bourgeois
    Message 1 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
      I live in Omaha near Offutt. Live in school Westside/ District 66 & get referrals for either UMNC/Munroe Meyer or Wolf Behavioral Consults schools work w/ both places- you will cry during IEPs- school works closely w/ both places. the happiest I have been in awhile. Waitlists are QUICK!!! everything is a joke-drivers ARE SCARY!!

      there is horse therapy, music therapy, swim therapy/lesson/ a real active support group. first time everything has clicked.

      Mary Bourgeois

      ________________________________
      Message 2 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
        Hi Cecilia,

        I can't speak from personal experience, but I did research Scott AFB when we thought we might be moving there and spoke with the Special Needs EFMP person. He told me that you could access ABA therapists who came in from St. Louis, and the schools were dependent on what district you lived in but overall, there were good local Developmental Pediatricians, etc for children with autism. Also, not sure what your career field will allow, but Andrews AFB near Washington DC is a good place to be stationed for autism. We live just over the Virginia border in Fairfax county were our son gets ABA in the schools and at home (without a waiting list) as well as respite care and PROMPT speech therapy. Just a thought.

        Kristin

        --- In militaryfamiliesautismsupport@yahoogroups.com, "cig_ptp" <cc_garin@...> wrote:

        > Hello,
        >
        > I'm just thinking ahead. We presently are stationed at McGuire AFB and love it here. Our low-functioning, non-verbal son is learning at Y.A,L.E. Southeast in an ABA classroom with a 1:1 ratio. He lacks many imitative skills and he is a slow learner.
        >
        > We've had trouble in past assignments with schools.
        >
        > I'm researching where we can go next. Does anyone have any information on Wright-Patterson, Offut, Scott, and Langley AFB? Do they use ABA therapy in the public school system? Are BCBAs available or is there usually a waiting list?
        >
        > Thank you very much for your time.
        >
        > Cecilia

      • md l
        Message 3 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
          If you get stationed at Tinker AFB in Oklahoma, there is an autism learning center not far from there (20 minutes) that takes ECHO/Tricare.  They do 1:1 with ABA.  You just have to pay your co-pay each month based on your rank.  My husband is an 0-2 and we paid $40 per month.

          Misty

          ________________________________

          Message 4 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
            Can anyone provide info on how to test and treat for PANDAS for a child with OCD, Tourette's, etc..  Our pediatrician refuses to run titers for strep and I don't know where else to turn.  We are in Oklahoma, but will do mail order tests if needed.  There is a research facility at a university here in Oklahoma that is researching PANDAS, but they are having to charge the parents $400 per child for testing due to budget issues (their fed-ex bill alone is $10,000 per month).

            Any advice?
            Misty

          • SarahS
            Message 5 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
              Misty,

              can you see a different ped? Maybe another dr will run the test?
              Is there a reason that your ped won't run the test?
              Ours in TX wouldn't run an OAT for us, so when we moved we paid to see a DAN! doc who ran all our tests and tricare paid for those (aside from tricare std cost share). If you're standard, you might just be able to send in the $400 as a claim, as long as the person running the study is an MD and has ordered the tests..?

              --- In militaryfamiliesautismsupport@yahoogroups.com, md l <dontblinkhs@...> wrote:

              > Can anyone provide info on how to test and treat for PANDAS for a child with OCD, Tourette's, etc..  Our pediatrician refuses to run titers for strep and I don't know where else to turn.  We are in Oklahoma, but will do mail order tests if needed.  There is a research facility at a university here in Oklahoma that is researching PANDAS, but they are having to charge the parents $400 per child for testing due to budget issues (their fed-ex bill alone is $10,000 per month).
              >
              > Any advice?
              > Misty

            • Mary Bourgeois
              Message 6 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
                If you need more on Offutt you can call me. Mar
                402-394-3346

                ________________________________

                Message 7 of 15 , Mar 1, 2010
                  We can't see another pediatrician.. We see an off-base civilian and we are Tricare Prime so we would need a referal from the ped to see any other doctor.  My younger daughter sees a DAN, which this ped referred us to, so maybe we will go that route.. I hate to take her to the DAN (who is 2 hours away) just for this little test though.

                  Thanks,
                  Misty

                  ________________________________
                  can you see a different ped? Maybe another dr will run the test?
                  Is there a reason that your ped won't run the test?
                  Ours in TX wouldn't run an OAT for us, so when we moved we paid to see a DAN! doc who ran all our tests and tricare paid for those (aside from tricare std cost share). If you're standard, you might just be able to send in the $400 as a claim, as long as the person running the study is an MD and has ordered the tests..?

                  --- In militaryfamiliesaut ismsupport@ yahoogroups. com, md l <dontblinkhs@ ...> wrote:

                  > Can anyone provide info on how to test and treat for PANDAS for a child with OCD, Tourette's, etc..  Our pediatrician refuses to run titers for strep and I don't know where else to turn.  We are in Oklahoma, but will do mail order tests if needed.  There is a research facility at a university here in Oklahoma that is researching PANDAS, but they are having to charge the parents $400 per child for testing due to budget issues (their fed-ex bill alone is $10,000 per month).
                  >
                  > Any advice?
                  > Misty

                • Christine Szczurek Cho
                  Message 8 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                    You can request a new primary care manager. Ask around and get
                    recommendations and then just go fill out the form at the Tricare
                    Service Center. All you have to do is make sure they are a network
                    (Prime) provider and are taking new patients. You could also
                    disenroll from Prime if you wanted to consider that option.

                    Chris

                    On Mar 1, 2010, at 10:09 PM, md l wrote:

                    > We can't see another pediatrician.. We see an off-base civilian and
                    > we are Tricare Prime so we would need a referal from the ped to see
                    > any other doctor. My younger daughter sees a DAN, which this ped
                    > referred us to, so maybe we will go that route.. I hate to take her
                    > to the DAN (who is 2 hours away) just for this little test though.
                    >
                    > Thanks,
                    > Misty
                    >
                    > ________________________________

                  • Mary Bourgeois
                    Message 9 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                      hmm... can you lend you my boys? we got kicked out of Offutt's ped. clinic. ;| funny story though.

                      ________________________________
                      You can request a new primary care manager. Ask around and get
                      recommendations and then just go fill out the form at the Tricare
                      Service Center. All you have to do is make sure they are a network
                      (Prime) provider and are taking new patients. You could also
                      disenroll from Prime if you wanted to consider that option.

                      Chris

                      On Mar 1, 2010, at 10:09 PM, md l wrote:

                      > We can't see another pediatrician.. We see an off-base civilian and
                      > we are Tricare Prime so we would need a referal from the ped to see
                      > any other doctor. My younger daughter sees a DAN, which this ped
                      > referred us to, so maybe we will go that route.. I hate to take her
                      > to the DAN (who is 2 hours away) just for this little test though.
                      >
                      > Thanks,
                      > Misty
                      >
                      > ________________________________

                    • Angela Warner
                      Message 10 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                        You really don't even have to go to the service center. I've changed
                        primary's for myself many times over the phone with Tricare. We use all
                        civilian providers and are Prime for my hubby and I - kids are standard.
                        I'll also tell you that you don't have to have a peditrician per say for the
                        kids. I would recommend finding a good D.O. that sees kids. D.O.'s tend to
                        be a bit more open minded about approaching care and tend to treat patients
                        on a more individual basis instead of the dogmatic one size fits all
                        approach I've experienced with far to many M.D.s.

                        We have a D.O. for the kids and she is wonderful and has gone so far as to
                        tell me that she would like to have conversations with me on things because
                        she thought she could learn alot from me. That's the kind of doc you want :)
                        A mutual relationship - not "I'm not going to sign off on that testing
                        because I know more than you or can't admit that you might know something I
                        don't" type of attitude.

                        HTH
                        Ang

                        On Tue, Mar 2, 2010 at 10:27 AM, Christine Szczurek Cho <
                        christinecho@...> wrote:

                        > You can request a new primary care manager. Ask around and get
                        > recommendations and then just go fill out the form at the Tricare
                        > Service Center. All you have to do is make sure they are a network
                        > (Prime) provider and are taking new patients. You could also
                        > disenroll from Prime if you wanted to consider that option.
                        >
                        > Chris
                        >
                        > On Mar 1, 2010, at 10:09 PM, md l wrote:
                        >
                        > > We can't see another pediatrician.. We see an off-base civilian and
                        > > we are Tricare Prime so we would need a referal from the ped to see
                        > > any other doctor. My younger daughter sees a DAN, which this ped
                        > > referred us to, so maybe we will go that route.. I hate to take her
                        > > to the DAN (who is 2 hours away) just for this little test though.
                        > >
                        > > Thanks,
                        > > Misty
                        > >
                        > > ________________________________

                      • md l
                        Message 11 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                          Thanks, but we really like this pediatrician.  She usually does everything I ask.. Just this time she isn't.  I think I just need to discuss it with her further.  We don't have too many providers to choose from around here and she is the best I have found.

                          Misty

                          ________________________________
                          You can request a new primary care manager.  Ask around and get
                          recommendations and then just go fill out the form at the Tricare
                          Service Center.  All you have to do is make sure they are a network
                          (Prime) provider and are taking new patients.  You could also
                          disenroll from Prime if you wanted to consider that option.

                          Chris

                          On Mar 1, 2010, at 10:09 PM, md l wrote:

                          > We can't see another pediatrician.. We see an off-base civilian and
                          > we are Tricare Prime so we would need a referal from the ped to see
                          > any other doctor.  My younger daughter sees a DAN, which this ped
                          > referred us to, so maybe we will go that route.. I hate to take her
                          > to the DAN (who is 2 hours away) just for this little test though.
                          >
                          > Thanks,
                          > Misty

                        • Angela Warner
                          Message 12 of 15 , Mar 2, 2010
                            Then you go GIRL and educate her! Sometimes they don't understand it all and
                            if she's open to talking then frame the convo around the fact that you like
                            and respect her. Take it from there. YOU know what to do. Just take
                            documentation tucked in your purse with you so if she asks for supporting
                            info you can whip it out slowly and say well... I brought this....

                            GO MISTY!!!!
                            Ang