Re: Galway Militia - John HALL b1873 Ballinakill, Loughrea, Galway. 65th Foot

  • Danny Hall
    Message 1 of 8 , Feb 12, 2011
      Thanks for that Maggie. Unfortunately I am in Sweden so contacting the Museum in personleaves me in my current plight. However, I shall write to them. I wasn't aware of that resource, thank you again.

      --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Maggie D" <johnmaggie11@...> wrote:

      > Hi, Collins Barracks has a muesium attached now+Ive heard they have records for those who joined both the Irish+British Armys. But you will need to check this out.
      > It's beside the Pheonix Park in Dublin.
      > Maggie the Dub
      > --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Hall" <dannywh@> wrote:
      > >
      > > Paternal GGrandfather John HALL joined the 65th at Birr in 1861 aged 18. His Attestation states that he was from Ballinakill, Loughrea, Galway. There are no other details of his parentage or origins.
      > > He was charged with fraudulent enlistment from the Galway Militia but suffered demotion only and served out his time in NZ, and East Indies.
      > >
      > > I am looking for information on the Galway Militia in an attempt to find John HALL, where he signed on, his ancestors, and where actually he was born.(Which Ballinakill??)
      > >
      > > (The Galway Militia "papers" in WO96 are not released on FMP until later this year)

    • MARIE
      Message 2 of 8 , Feb 12, 2011
        Hi Danny, where did you find the information on the Galway Militia my g/grandfather was from Galway also no idea of the location.
        He was probably a decade younger than your relative.
        I have been trying to get information on him for a while. I would appreciate the information.
        Thank you
        Marie

        Message 3 of 8 , Feb 12, 2011
          Possibly John and father?

          Name: John Hall
          Registration District: Loughrea
          Event Type: MARRIAGES
          Registration Quarter and Year: 1877
          Film Number: 101253
          Volume Number: 19
          Page Number: 150
          Digital Folder Number: 4179386
          Image Number: 00064
          Collection: Ireland, Civil Registration Indexes, 1845-1958

          Name: John Hall
          Registration District: Loughrea
          Event Type: MARRIAGES
          Registration Quarter and Year: 1848
          Film Number: 101242
          Volume Number: 7
          Page Number: 441
          Digital Folder Number: 4195888
          Image Number: 00097

          Message 4 of 8 , Feb 12, 2011
            The militia records I mentioned earlier as having been transcribed to disc I believe were taken from the following LDS items:

            List of records of disbanded militia regiments for transmission to the custody of the Master of the rolls

            If memory serves (and it doesn't very well at present) these are the only official records of the militia that have survived. They include the enrolment books.  However they are not complete and I don't see any for Galway. These records also include the Artillery and some of the regimental militia. In regard to the artillery, again there is no mention of Galway.

            The following may prove of interest since mention is made of the records, (I don't have a jstor access so am unable to see the complete paper).

            Defence Prepared: The Galway Militia from 1793
            David C. A. Wilkins
            Journal of the Galway Archaeological and Historical Society
            Vol. 50, (1998), pp. 37-48
            (article consists of 13 pages)

            Message 5 of 8 , Feb 19, 2011
              Hello Marie. The attestation papers (WO97) contain amongst other things, the service record. It was there that I found details of his "Fraudulent enlistment from the Galway Militia". I am "sure" he wouldn't have been the only one! Happy hunting!

              --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "MARIE" <nolanm@...> wrote:

              > Hi Danny, where did you find the information on the Galway Militia my g/grandfather was from Galway also no idea of the location.
              > He was probably a decade younger than your relative.
              > I have been trying to get information on him for a while. I would appreciate the information.
              > Thank you
              > Marie
              >

              > --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Danny Hall" <dannywh@> wrote:
              > >
              > > Thanks for that Maggie. Unfortunately I am in Sweden so contacting the Museum in personleaves me in my current plight. However, I shall write to them. I wasn't aware of that resource, thank you again.
              > >
              > > --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Maggie D" <johnmaggie11@> wrote:
              > > >

              > > > Hi, Collins Barracks has a muesium attached now+Ive heard they have records for those who joined both the Irish+British Armys. But you will need to check this out.
              > > > It's beside the Pheonix Park in Dublin.
              > > > Maggie the Dub

            • MARIE NOLAN
              Message 6 of 8 , Feb 19, 2011
                Thanks Danny, I great uncle joined up twice, went awol first time and then went back to WW1 under his second name.
                I'm on a mission.
                Thanks again Marie