Capt Patrick Masterman of 87th and Co. Roscommon

  • Tim
    Message 1 of 4 , Feb 11, 2011
      Trying to pin down this gent, who took the first British captured frence eagle at Barrosa, then a sgt, but eventually was promoted to Captain in the Irish 87th.
      Also want to know anything about Ensign Kough (List as this spelling).
      Thanks for looking.
    • Maggie D
      Message 2 of 4 , Feb 11, 2011
        Seems to me that Kough is a spelling error. Look at Keogh or Gough.
        I've never heard of the name Ensign so that may be misspelt also. Can you give us any more info? ie, religion, where they lived, age etc.
        Maggie the Dub

        --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <mr_tje@...> wrote:

        > Trying to pin down this gent, who took the first British captured frence eagle at Barrosa, then a sgt, but eventually was promoted to Captain in the Irish 87th.
        > Also want to know anything about Ensign Kough (List as this spelling).
        > Thanks for looking.

      • Caubeen
        Message 3 of 4 , Feb 11, 2011
          Ensign is a rank designation.  Ensign Edward Keogh is the man you should google.

          Seems to me that Kough is a spelling error. Look at Keogh or Gough.
          I've never heard of the name Ensign so that may be misspelt also. Can you give us any more info? ie, religion, where they lived, age etc.
          Maggie the Dub

          --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, "Tim" <mr_tje@...> wrote:

          > Trying to pin down this gent, who took the first British captured frence eagle at Barrosa, then a sgt, but eventually was promoted to Captain in the Irish 87th.
          > Also want to know anything about Ensign Kough (List as this spelling).
          > Thanks for looking.

          <*> Your email settings:
              Individual Email | Traditional

          <*> To change settings online go to:
              (Yahoo! ID required)

          <*> To change settings via email:
              milgenire-digest@yahoogroups.com
              milgenire-fullfeatured@yahoogroups.com

              http://docs.yahoo.com/info/terms/

          Finding fabulous fares is fun.
          Message 4 of 4 , Feb 12, 2011
            "Ensign" is a rank; equivalent to "cadet" and 2nd Lieutenant depending on which period and section of arms, infantry, cavalry, artillery.