Re: [milgenire] James Corby - Irish War of Independence

  • Denis Grant
    Message 1 of 3 , Aug 15, 2008
      It sounds as though the record referred is one of those that was kept at the pensions office in Galway until recently - the pension and medal application were interwoven since the pension award was related to the type of service with active service being recognised by the COMRAC (Combat)  clasp.  These record can contain a lot of detail since the application asked for details of specific service  and actions.

      You don't make clear if James Corby is related to you?  I ask since I didn't know that the records in question were open to general access.  I would certainly like to know if they are.

      Records,

      Donnacha

      Message 2 of 3 , Aug 15, 2008

        I am not related to James Corby but I am trying to find his ancestry. I am a Canadian (and yes, we suck in the Olympics) I purchased medal (no comrac on the black and tan) from a reputable person in New York who is a collector of Irish medals. He had purchase the medals from a Dublin collector and the name I was given was James Corby. I am trying to find out more information as provenance more than anything. I don’t know if the records are open to access. I just wrote to them and received a letter back. In a nutshell, I am trying to find out if the name is legitimate and other information about service, dob, country, etc. It’s like a history project. Should I write to the pensions office in Galway?

        Cheers,

        Rich

[...]

        .

        Image removed by sender._._,___

        Image removed by sender.Yahoo! Canada Toolbar : Search from anywhere on the web and bookmark your favourite sites. Download it now!