Royal Irish Fusiliers

  • Éamann Ó Ruairc
    Message 1 of 2 , Dec 8, 2010
    Dia daoibh uilig! / Hello!

    I posted here two months ago about my g-grandfather George Magee who was injured when a solider in the East Indies in the period approx. 1875 to 1887.

    I have just received a photograph of him in an army group, of which a copy below. The board at their feet reads “What remains of B/Coy 4 RI Fusrs. 87”. In the top left-hand corner of the board there is a letter “D”, in the bottom left-hand corner “W” and in the top right-hand corner something which I cannot decipher. Can anyone suggest what these letters mean?

    I am wondering if this is a “reunion” type photo or a photo taken during WWI? I would be inclined to think that it is a reunion of old comrades because my great-grandfather George Magee is the man standing second from right, with a white moustache. As you can see he had lost his left arm. He was born in Dublin in 1860 approx. and I don’t suppose that men approaching 55 were recruited in 1914, especially if they only had one arm!

    He lost his arm in an accident when a soldier in the East Indies (I do not know where) sometime in the period approx. 1875 to 1888. In 1888 he got married in Tullamore (Co. Offaly) and put “army pensioner” as his occupation. At that time there was a British army barracks in Tullamore.

    I had hoped to find him in the Chelsea Pensioners list recently published by FindMyPast but to my surprise he is not in the database.

    I notice that in the photo the badge on my g-gf’s cap is different from that of the other soldiers.

    Many thanks for any help you may be able to give me!

    Beannachtaí,

    Éamann Ó RUAIRC

    PS I am going to post the same questions on the 14-18 Forum.
  • brian magaoidh
    Message 2 of 2 , Dec 9, 2010
      Hi Eamann,
      I am researching Magee family in Belfast and wondered whether there are any connections to your George?

      Also, in the photo, are they/ were they all sergeants?

      Cheers

      Brian Magaoidh