Re: [milgenire] Re: Royal Artillery

  • Annette Code
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
      In the Military Attestations Index Royal Garrison Artiller 1872-1915

      just two Michael O'Connor on the website www.irishorigins.

      Limerick WO96/1401 and Cork St. Finbar's WO96/1322
      each full record on this particular membership will cost 10 British Pounds!!

      There are 94 Connor's, Only 1 in Galway a Francis Connors
      I checked www.findmypast.co.uk and the way the military records are set out it would be next to impossible to get the right record again without paying a fortune.  There are 376 records - perhaps - for Michael O'Connor. What they do is send you to a page
      that is by alphabet, but you don't necessarily find anyone on that page.

       I have points that I've already paid for and  tried one just to see but can see having used the program before that it would be useless to go further:

      Boar War 1899-1902
      Connor, Captn.The Royal Irish Fusiillers (Princess Victoria) AL20 reference no and no further information.

      There is just one with a full name of Michael John, 4 have the initial M. and 1 a M.O.
      the balance have no first initial or name!!

      There were many 1914 records but you note he is deceased by 1900.

      Sorry Wished I could of done more. Annette

    • MARIE NOLAN
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
        Hi Annette,
        Sometimes a second pair of eyes can spot something that I may have missed. I have tried findmypast and exactly as you said the records I purchased I had no way of telling if the Michael Connor/O'Connor was correct. Same thing with nationalarchives.gov.uk I paid for records and same story there. I feel my best bet is my grandfathers birth cert born 1880 that would at least give me an address. If he had been in WW1 also there would have been a record on Ancestry.Com. He may not have signed up in Galway it could have been anywhere in Ireland or for that matter England.
        Thank you so much for trying I really do appreciate it.
        Marie

        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
          I looked through Michael Connor, Galway www.labs.familysearch.org

          Michael Connor birth registered Oct-Dec 1880 #101057 Vol.4 Pg. 242
          Galway Registration District

          Michael Connor birth registered Apr-June,1880 #101057 Vol.4 Pg. 237
          Galway Registration District

          If you have nothing but time you can go through the counties, or just put in Ireland and get 1,066 records, both birth,marriage,death US Census and passenger records
          I didn't look at the WWI records.

          Would he not be in the 1901 Census age 21? There were 17 for Galway but if you aren't sure of where he was from that could take you ages.

          Annette

        • MARIE NOLAN
          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
            Hi Annette, I have his marriage cert age 21 in Scotland Feb 1901 could not find him on the Scottish 1901 census. His parents are listed on the marriage cert that is how I know his father was Michael and his mother was Mary Hogan.
            I have him back in Ireland Dublin census 1911 married with his wife Julia and 2 children Florence and Michael my dad. This is where he states Galway City as his birthplace.
            I had searches done at  GRO Ireland for Connor/O'Connor birth 1879-1882 and for  marriage cert for his parents 1875-1880 he may have been an only child.
            I have also searched and paid for IFHF records, they now have an advanced search where you can include both parents. The IFHF records are civil and church but they are not completed yet.
            I will keep going and again thank you for taking the time to help me.
            Regards Marie

            ---

            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
              Just 1 more thing, are there military records of  at the PRONI, Belfast?

              If something else comes up, drop me a line. Annette