Re: [milgenire] Re: Royal Artillery

  • MARIE NOLAN
    Message 1 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
      Thanks Annette, that is kind of you. I have tried all that I know  and thought I would give it a rest for now. I have my family tree including all my in laws done but the O'Connor's are my immediate family and would love to find something on my great grandparents. The man in the artillery was deceased in 1901 as stated on my grandfather  21 years old  marriage cert.
      I would appreciate anything.
      Thanks again
      Marie

      From: MARIE <nolanm@...>
      Subject: [milgenire] Re: Royal Artillery
      To: milgenire@yahoogroups.com

      Hi Donnacha, I've only just picked up this message thank you. I was in Ireland in October hoping to get some more information on the O'Connor's to no avail. I did what you said had GRO check from 1879-1882(My grandfather) for a birth entry with mothers maiden name Hogan but they found no match. I have a question if Michael O'Connor (g grandfather) was a private in the artillery what exactly is that. Would it be big guns,cannons etc.,????. I looked at the 1st Boer War monuments, the Connaught Rangers only because he came from Galway. I know that GRO Ireland have military records but you must have the regiment name and #. I'm hoping that just like the McAllister's, it turned out I was looking at a William we knew him as Billy his first name was actually James and I came across his marriage record in Scotland and only recognized it because my great grandparents were listed on the document.
      I really appreciate any kind of help I can get.
      Thanks again
      Marie

      --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, Donnacha <ddgrant2004@...> wrote:

      > Hi Marie,
      > I've been looking at your original inquiry again and the following points strike me:
      >
      > I wouldn't pay any attention to family stories about the O'Connor name.  It is more the norm than the unusual for this type of name to have several variations in use.  In my own personal experience  of my godfather's family they were known as O'Connor, Conner or Conners.  Similarly with my O'Briens and O'Callaghans.  And this is before the 'relaxed' approach to names at the Registrars office.
      >
      > For example, if you look at the search results for O'Connor deaths in Irish Index to BDM which is online at the LDS you will see that the variation Connor is returned:
      >
      > http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1203730494621#surname=O'Connor&deathYear=1880&deathPlaceId=8003251&searchType=close&p=recordResults&givenName=Michael&deathPlaceLoc1=Galway%2C%20Ireland
      >
      > (This is using the year of death as 1880; you will see that a range either side of that is returned).
      >
      > Homing in on the range will depend on what information you have from other sources.  The same goes for a marriage entry (always assuming it took place from 1864 onwards):
      >
      > http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1203730494621#marriagePlaceLoc1=Galway%2C%20Ireland&marriagePlaceId=8003251&surname=O'Connor&marriageYear=1880&searchType=close&p=recordResults&givenName=Michael
      >
      > These, of course, are not military inquiries and you should pursue them with the appropriate Galway list which you will find listed on the Rootsweb main page.  By the way, I should say that it is a rare day indeed that you will be fortunate enough to land on the record you want.  The more information you have to begin with as to date, place and other info such as witnesses to a wedding the closer you will get.
      >
      > The Irish Census is also a valuable source since you will often find details on the entry that will inform your search; e.g., other family member whose information you end up finding.  Check thru these results for Michael O'Connor from the 1911 census.  (With the census you *will* have to do a separate for variations).
      >
      > http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/results.jsp?census_year=1901&surname=O%27Connor&firstname=Michael&county=Galway&townland=&ded=&age=&sex=M&search=Search&relationToHead=&religion=&education=&occupation=&marriageStatus=&birthplace=&language=&deafdumb=&marriageYears=&childrenBorn=&childrenLiving=
      >

      > As for the Militia Attestations - perhaps better results will be available later.  I notice that this seems to be the first time the National Archives have made an arrangement with a 'partner' that doesn't include free access to the index, as e.g., with Ancestry.com.  Sign of things to come I fear.
      >
      > Regards,
      >
      > Donnacha

    • Annette Code
      Message 2 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
        In the Military Attestations Index Royal Garrison Artiller 1872-1915

        just two Michael O'Connor on the website www.irishorigins.

        Limerick WO96/1401 and Cork St. Finbar's WO96/1322
        each full record on this particular membership will cost 10 British Pounds!!

        There are 94 Connor's, Only 1 in Galway a Francis Connors
        I checked www.findmypast.co.uk and the way the military records are set out it would be next to impossible to get the right record again without paying a fortune.  There are 376 records - perhaps - for Michael O'Connor. What they do is send you to a page
        that is by alphabet, but you don't necessarily find anyone on that page.

         I have points that I've already paid for and  tried one just to see but can see having used the program before that it would be useless to go further:

        Boar War 1899-1902
        Connor, Captn.The Royal Irish Fusiillers (Princess Victoria) AL20 reference no and no further information.

        There is just one with a full name of Michael John, 4 have the initial M. and 1 a M.O.
        the balance have no first initial or name!!

        There were many 1914 records but you note he is deceased by 1900.

        Sorry Wished I could of done more. Annette

      • MARIE NOLAN
        Message 3 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
          Hi Annette,
          Sometimes a second pair of eyes can spot something that I may have missed. I have tried findmypast and exactly as you said the records I purchased I had no way of telling if the Michael Connor/O'Connor was correct. Same thing with nationalarchives.gov.uk I paid for records and same story there. I feel my best bet is my grandfathers birth cert born 1880 that would at least give me an address. If he had been in WW1 also there would have been a record on Ancestry.Com. He may not have signed up in Galway it could have been anywhere in Ireland or for that matter England.
          Thank you so much for trying I really do appreciate it.
          Marie

          Message 4 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
            I looked through Michael Connor, Galway www.labs.familysearch.org

            Michael Connor birth registered Oct-Dec 1880 #101057 Vol.4 Pg. 242
            Galway Registration District

            Michael Connor birth registered Apr-June,1880 #101057 Vol.4 Pg. 237
            Galway Registration District

            If you have nothing but time you can go through the counties, or just put in Ireland and get 1,066 records, both birth,marriage,death US Census and passenger records
            I didn't look at the WWI records.

            Would he not be in the 1901 Census age 21? There were 17 for Galway but if you aren't sure of where he was from that could take you ages.

            Annette

          • MARIE NOLAN
            Message 5 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
              Hi Annette, I have his marriage cert age 21 in Scotland Feb 1901 could not find him on the Scottish 1901 census. His parents are listed on the marriage cert that is how I know his father was Michael and his mother was Mary Hogan.
              I have him back in Ireland Dublin census 1911 married with his wife Julia and 2 children Florence and Michael my dad. This is where he states Galway City as his birthplace.
              I had searches done at  GRO Ireland for Connor/O'Connor birth 1879-1882 and for  marriage cert for his parents 1875-1880 he may have been an only child.
              I have also searched and paid for IFHF records, they now have an advanced search where you can include both parents. The IFHF records are civil and church but they are not completed yet.
              I will keep going and again thank you for taking the time to help me.
              Regards Marie

              ---

              Message 6 of 13 , Nov 24, 2010
                Just 1 more thing, are there military records of  at the PRONI, Belfast?

                If something else comes up, drop me a line. Annette