Re: [milgenire] Re: Chelsea Pensioners / FIBIS

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 26, 2010
      A Chara,

      The matter of pensions. I believe these were paid in Ireland at least through an 'Agent'. I don't know what was the status of these, whether it was an individual human sucha as some kind of broker or if it was an institution, e.g., a bank. However I seem to remember coming across the question over the years and the suggestion that there was a possibility of findin surviving records since of course there would have to have been some War Office or Treasury supervision. Thus if you could locate that for the address area...

      Another place to look is around the Dental Agent profession. What was this occupation? Is there a mention of these in the Directories of the locale? Would the have a mention in newspapers that might add "one time of x regiment"?

      Finally (or perhaps firstly!) do make use of the extensive guides at Kew:

      http://getinformationmarketingsecrets.com/report

      Slan,

      Donnacha

      From: Éamann Ó Ruairc <eamann@...>
      Subject: Re: [milgenire] Re: Chelsea Pensioners / FIBIS
      To: milgenire@yahoogroups.com

      Thanks for that suggestion. When I’m in the Dublin libraries I’ll keep my eyes open for anything linked to the Dublin Fusiliers.

      Slan,

      Éamann

      Le 26 oct. 2010 à 18:21, Donnacha a écrit :

      Éamann;

      Given the India connection you could try the Royal Dublin Fusiliers:

      1st Bn: Formerly the 102nd Royal Madras Fusiliers. This battalion can be considered to be the oldest of the East India Company regiments being formed in 1748 from even older independent companies as the Madras European Regiment. It had a similar history to the Bengal European Regiment and was amalgamated with the regular army in 1868.
      2nd Bn: Formerly the 103rd Royal Bombay Fusiliers. As a battalion the Bombay Europeans can trace their lineage back to 1661, they later became the 1st Bombay European Regiment and were amalgamated with the regular army in 1861. (Michael Cronin's notes)

      Check out here also:

      http://www.waterfordcountymuseum.org/exhibit/web/Display/article/31/4/