M1927 Helmet

  • John Doyle
    Message 1 of 1 , Aug 14, 2008

      My grandfather, John Stephen Doyle (1912 – 2003), served in the Free State Army during the 1930’s. I don’t remember much of what he said about his service except :

      1. His walking from Enniscorthy to The Curragh to enlist
      2. regularly having to put his uniform in to the pawn brokers until pay day
      3. the coal scuttle M1927 helmets
      4. the number of fairly well to do young gents in the Army who joined at the behest of their fathers to learn “man management”

      Every so often an M1927 helmet comes up on Ebay. Although they are generally considered to be poor quality, their scarcity makes them valuable/collectors items. Only 10021 were originally manufactured; a large number were destroyed when the Irish Army changed helmet during “The Emergency” ie World War 2 leaving an estimated 4000 in circulation.

      I don’t generally collect militaria but I’m keen to get hold of one. Sadly, lost out on another one of Ebay today that went for the princely sum of £395 ;-(

      Foiled again.

      John