Re: [milgenire] Re: Chelsea Pensioners / FIBIS

    Message 1 of 12 , Oct 24, 2010
      Hi Eamann,
      You possibly heard this before but what you really need to do is find out what regiment your man belonged to. There is no point in making the trek to Kew without this since this is the category under which most if not all of the relevant records are organized.  It may be an idea to contact family members and ask them to do some head scratching.  Very often there is a hint of the regiment somewhere in family lore.  This may be about where the regiment was, some battle, the regiment's nickname or something similar.  If you came across a photograph then someone is usually able to say something about the identification.

      A possible avenue may be to have one of the experienced researchers take a direct look at the pensioner records for you. This is assuming that the indexing has been less that reliable.  I have not kept up to date with what has been going on at NA since the move to privatizing online access but I did raise an eyebrow when I read on FindMyPast that the "misfiled records" had been indexed.  I have never seen the misfileds myself but was assured by one researcher a few years back that the boxes in question occupied extensive shelving.

      Not much I know, but hope it helps.

      Message 2 of 12 , Oct 25, 2010
        Dia duit, a Dhonnacha!

        Thank you for your suggestions!

        The only thing I know for sure about this man is that he served in India, perhaps Burma, that he was injured there and had his left arm amputated.

        No one in the family knows anything else. Don’t forget this is my g-grandfather and he was already a pensioner in 1888! My grandfather died young in 1954 when my only surviving uncle was aged nine…

        You would think that he would figure in the Chelsea Pensioners list. The FindMyPast site lists two Magee’s, neither with a date or place of birth. I paid to view them and neither of them was my man. If the people filing the records had glanced through them they would have found information sufficient to calculate the probable place and date of birth.

        I’m going to Dublin next week and I plan to research my g-grandfather’s family in the Dublin City Library. In the censuses and other documents he consistently says that he was born in Dublin and generally (!) the date of birth to be deduced from his age is 1860. I may some clue which could help me.

        If not I think I will have to put this on the back-burner for a year or two and hopefully by then the Pensioners records will have been better analysed and George Magee’s file may turn up!

        Beannachtaí,

        Éamann

        PS I agree with you that privatizing public records is a shame.

        Message 3 of 12 , Oct 25, 2010
          Hi again  Éamann,

          Don't forget that the Irish Census 1901 and 1911 is online and free:

          Many Church records BMD are also online and again free:

          And you should also use the LDS search at::

          Good Luck!

          Slan,

          Donnacha

            Message 5 of 12 , Oct 26, 2010
              Éamann;

              Given the India connection you could try the Royal Dublin Fusiliers:

              1st Bn: Formerly the 102nd Royal Madras Fusiliers. This battalion can be considered to be the oldest of the East India Company regiments being formed in 1748 from even older independent companies as the Madras European Regiment. It had a similar history to the Bengal European Regiment and was amalgamated with the regular army in 1868.
              2nd Bn: Formerly the 103rd Royal Bombay Fusiliers. As a battalion the Bombay Europeans can trace their lineage back to 1661, they later became the 1st Bombay European Regiment and were amalgamated with the regular army in 1861. (Michael Cronin's notes)

              Check out here also:

              Message 6 of 12 , Oct 26, 2010

                a 41 year old George Magee from Dublin City, Army Pensioner in the 1901 census :

                http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Antrim/Dock_Ward/St__Georges_Street/1003413/

                Any of the names match?

                Listed as a Dental Agent in 1911

                http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1911/Antrim/Cromac/Cromac_Street/159162/

                John

                http://www.waterfordcountymuseum.org/exhibit/web/Display/article/31/4/

                I’ve already searched for George Magee on all of these sites without success, that’s why I’m hoping I may have better luck with the parish records in Dublin City Library!

                Beannachtaí,

                Éamann

                Le 25 oct. 2010 à 21:10, Donnacha a écrit :

                Hi again  Éamann,

                Don't forget that the Irish Census 1901 and 1911 is online and free:

                http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/search/

                Many Church records BMD are also online and again free:

                http://www.irishgenealogy.ie/index.html

                And you should also use the LDS search at::

                http://search.labs.familysearch.org/recordsearch/start.html?datestamp=1203730494621#start

                Good Luck!

                Slan,

                Donnacha

                Message 7 of 12 , Oct 26, 2010
                  Thanks John for going to the trouble of looking up the census for me. That’s very kind of you!

                  That is indeed my g-grandfather. I have in fact a lot of information about his life from the time of his marriage in Tullamore in 1888 up until his death in 1935 in Liverpool. I also have two photographs of him from the years he lived in Belfast and you can see clearly that he had lost his left arm.

                  As regards his time in the British army I am for the moment up against a brick wall…

                  Thanks again!

                  Éamann

                    Message 9 of 12 , Oct 26, 2010
                      A Chara,

                      The matter of pensions. I believe these were paid in Ireland at least through an 'Agent'. I don't know what was the status of these, whether it was an individual human sucha as some kind of broker or if it was an institution, e.g., a bank. However I seem to remember coming across the question over the years and the suggestion that there was a possibility of findin surviving records since of course there would have to have been some War Office or Treasury supervision. Thus if you could locate that for the address area...

                      Another place to look is around the Dental Agent profession. What was this occupation? Is there a mention of these in the Directories of the locale? Would the have a mention in newspapers that might add "one time of x regiment"?

                      Finally (or perhaps firstly!) do make use of the extensive guides at Kew:

                      http://getinformationmarketingsecrets.com/report

                      Slan,

                      Donnacha