Militia Attestation Papers

    Message 1 of 4 , Jul 8, 2010
      The Militia Attestations Papers have now been indexed and both the index and the Papers are available online on fee-paying basis. The way it works is that a subscription allows search of the index. If you want a particular full record from what you'seen on the index there is an extra charge. Theres a subscription for 72 hours subscription for £7.50 which should be enough time to search the index. the index Information here for the Irish records; there is a link on the page to the British records.

      http://www.originsnetwork.com/help/aboutio-militia.aspx

      Feedback from anyone who uses this service would be appreciated.

    • MARIE
      Message 2 of 4 , Jul 18, 2010
        Hi Donnacha,I probably got to use 5 hours out of the 72 hours when my subscription had expired (cost $12). Did not get any new information I tried several military name searches came up with nothing not even for people I already have information for. It was probably me, takes a while to navigate new sites. I guess my g grandfather was not in the Royal Garrison Artillery. I know he was a gunner in the Artillery I have no idea which regiment.
        Thanks for the links to National Archives UK.
        Marie

        Message 3 of 4 , Jul 18, 2010
          Hi Marie,
          I think you should email them and say what your experience of the interface was and ask for credits. It's seems to me that it's unacceptable for people yo be left with the no recourse for a clunky service.  It may also be a good idea to let the PRO know.  It's bad enough them privatizing public records without leaving the public with a fee eating machine.

          Hi Donnacha,I probably got to use 5 hours out of the 72 hours when my subscription had expired (cost $12). Did not get any new information I tried several military name searches came up with nothing not even for people I already have information for. It was probably me, takes a while to navigate new sites. I guess my g grandfather was not in the Royal Garrison Artillery. I know he was a gunner in the Artillery I have no idea which regiment.
          Thanks for the links to National Archives UK.
          Marie

          --- In milgenire@yahoogroups.com, Donnacha <ddgrant2004@...> wrote:

          > The Militia Attestations Papers have now been indexed and both the index and the Papers are available online on fee-paying basis. The way it works is that a subscription allows search of the index. If you want a particular full record from what you'seen on the index there is an extra charge. Theres a subscription for 72 hours subscription for £7.50 which should be enough time to search the index. the index Information here for the Irish records; there is a link on the page to the British records.
          >
          > http://www.originsnetwork.com/help/aboutio-militia.aspx
          >
          > Feedback from anyone who uses this service would be appreciated.
          >
          > Regards,
          >
          > Donnacha

        • MARIE
          Message 4 of 4 , Jul 29, 2010
            Hi Donnacha, I sent an email, I have had no response it's been over 2 weeks.