Re: [milgenire] Help identifying uniform please

  • Johnny Doyle
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2010
      looking at your photo of Michael Casey on Ancestry, I'm tempted to
      say it's a Labour Corps badge with a bit of glare on the left hand
      side as we look at it.

      Not sure if this helps or hinders but these are the Casey's I came
      across that appear to have a Ballinasloe link (any chance they're related?):

      Name: Patrick Casey
      Birth Place: Ballinasloe
      Residence: Ballinasloe, Co. Galway
      Death Date: 2 Feb 1915
      Death Location: Home
      Enlistment Location: Ballinasloe
      Rank: Private
      Regiment: Connaught Rangers
      Battalion: 3rd Battalion
      Number: 4247
      Type of Casualty: Died

      Name: Michael Casey
      Birth Place: Ballinasloe, Co. Galway
      Residence: Ballinasloe
      Death Date: 29 Apr 1915
      Death Location: France & Flanders
      Enlistment Location: Ballinasloe
      Rank: Private
      Regiment: Connaught Rangers
      Battalion: 1st Battalion
      Number: 8728
      Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

      John

      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2010
        Hi Michael,
        You've probably guessed form John Doyle's reply that Yahoo doesn't allow attachments in Groups. (Probably due to space limitations).

        This gives me an opportunity to mention another option with images to the group.  Some time ago I set up a group for milgenire on Facebook.  At the time my intention was to increase awareness of the group and also to experiment with the way in which a Facebook group might supplement a traditional group.  (I have a bit of a suspicion also that in the long run Facebook and the other web 2, we 3, web n will eventually replace these text based groups.  Think of the possibilities of having not only images but video on the group pages, e.g., trips to battlefields, cemetaries, museums).

        So, for those interested who have a Facebook account or who plan to have or are willing to try one, the group page is here:

        Message 3 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010

          If t is a Labour Corps badge, there is one candidate in the Medal Index:

          Medal card of  Casey, Michael
          Corps: 81st Labour Corps
          Regiment No: 384224
          Rank: Private
          1914-1920 WO 372/4

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
            I just want to add the link to all 63 Michael Caseys in the Medal Index Cards.  Worth noting that there are quite a number in Irish Regiments.

            If you intend ordering many of these you need first to read an explanation of the way these Cards are organized on the film, there being a number of cards per sheet.  Since an order will consist of a sheet you would get several records in addition to the one you want.  The thing to do is to manage your orders when you want several so that you don't go paying for a particular item twice.  There used to be an information sheet on this on the page at one time; perhaps it's still there. However, with all the privatization and the moneygrubbing who knows if it's anything like that now.