Help identifying uniform please

  • Michael
    Message 1 of 5 , Jun 30, 2010
      Hi All

      I've attached a photo of my Great Grandfather Michael Casey and am trying to find out who he served with?

      The picture was taken circa 1919 in Dublin and on his marriage certificate to Bridget Cooney (Dublin, June 1916)his occupation was recorded as Soldier and his residence as Galway. My Gran told me he was from Ballinasloe, which I'm told was a garrison town during the early part of the 20th century.
      He moved to Liverpool as a civilian in 1929 and died there the following year aged 42. Despite all this information I have struggled to find any record of him on the Irish census of 1901 or 1911 or any sign of him in the British Military archives.

      Any advice would be welcome.

      Michael
    • Johnny Doyle
      Message 2 of 5 , Jun 30, 2010
        looking at your photo of Michael Casey on Ancestry, I'm tempted to
        say it's a Labour Corps badge with a bit of glare on the left hand
        side as we look at it.

        Not sure if this helps or hinders but these are the Casey's I came
        across that appear to have a Ballinasloe link (any chance they're related?):

        Name: Patrick Casey
        Birth Place: Ballinasloe
        Residence: Ballinasloe, Co. Galway
        Death Date: 2 Feb 1915
        Death Location: Home
        Enlistment Location: Ballinasloe
        Rank: Private
        Regiment: Connaught Rangers
        Battalion: 3rd Battalion
        Number: 4247
        Type of Casualty: Died

        Name: Michael Casey
        Birth Place: Ballinasloe, Co. Galway
        Residence: Ballinasloe
        Death Date: 29 Apr 1915
        Death Location: France & Flanders
        Enlistment Location: Ballinasloe
        Rank: Private
        Regiment: Connaught Rangers
        Battalion: 1st Battalion
        Number: 8728
        Type of Casualty: Died of wounds

        John

        Message 3 of 5 , Jun 30, 2010
          Hi Michael,
          You've probably guessed form John Doyle's reply that Yahoo doesn't allow attachments in Groups. (Probably due to space limitations).

          This gives me an opportunity to mention another option with images to the group.  Some time ago I set up a group for milgenire on Facebook.  At the time my intention was to increase awareness of the group and also to experiment with the way in which a Facebook group might supplement a traditional group.  (I have a bit of a suspicion also that in the long run Facebook and the other web 2, we 3, web n will eventually replace these text based groups.  Think of the possibilities of having not only images but video on the group pages, e.g., trips to battlefields, cemetaries, museums).

          So, for those interested who have a Facebook account or who plan to have or are willing to try one, the group page is here:

          Message 4 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010

            If t is a Labour Corps badge, there is one candidate in the Medal Index:

            Medal card of  Casey, Michael
            Corps: 81st Labour Corps
            Regiment No: 384224
            Rank: Private
            1914-1920 WO 372/4

            Message 5 of 5 , Jul 1, 2010
              I just want to add the link to all 63 Michael Caseys in the Medal Index Cards.  Worth noting that there are quite a number in Irish Regiments.

              If you intend ordering many of these you need first to read an explanation of the way these Cards are organized on the film, there being a number of cards per sheet.  Since an order will consist of a sheet you would get several records in addition to the one you want.  The thing to do is to manage your orders when you want several so that you don't go paying for a particular item twice.  There used to be an information sheet on this on the page at one time; perhaps it's still there. However, with all the privatization and the moneygrubbing who knows if it's anything like that now.