Cadet Applications

  • mcamlis
    Message 1 of 2 , Jun 30 10:52 AM
      Hello - I have a copy pf the cadet papers submitted by William Hughes Hall, a grandfather, to the East India Company in 1825. He states that his father William Hall has died & he is being recommended by his mother Hope Hall. I have found out that she was the former Hope Clifford, daughter of Miller Clifford of Ireland. The Director sponsoring him was William Wigram & he was a relative of Hope Clifford Hall. My question is: I thought I read somewhere that children of deceased officers were allowed to go to the Royal Military College. Does anyone know if this is accurate? William Hughes Hall went to the Royal Military College at Sandhurst according to his application. He was born & baptized in Waterford Ireland but at the time of his application his mother was living at No.6 Eliza Street, Pimlico in London.
      Thanks
      Mary Ann Camlis
      Windsor Ontario
      Message 2 of 2 , Jul 1, 2010
        Hello Mary Ann,
        Although the East India Company had its own Academy at Addiscombe I doubt if there was any impediment put in the way of candidates from the Royal Military Academy.  I believe both of these institutions were fee paying.  This was in the period when commissions could be bought and sold and thus the fees to the RMC especially could be looked upon as an investment.  I don't know what the status of commissions in the Army of the Easy India Company.

        The other thing to consider was that the British Officers tended to be from a particular section of society.  It is interesting that you mention an Irish connection since, indeed, a large part of the officer intake originated in Ireland, especially from the Anglo-Irish landed gentry and those around them. Thus connections certainly played a large part and it was quite normal for sons to follow fathers even into particular regiments.  This happened in the natural course of things and it would be incorrect to think of it as some kind of scheming conspiracy! And it would certainly be the case that being the son of an officer either living or deceased would very much influence acceptance into the College.

        It is also quite likely that there was a connection of some sort, family or otherwise, with Wigram ( a prosperous shipowner, all the more reason for an association with the East India Company). The sponsorship by a Director was probably tantamount to what we should today call a "shoe-in".

        So you have several factors at play and not simly the question of the Royal Military College.

        You might like to look at the following link:

        http://www.philipjohnston.com/rmas/history.htm

        William Wigram appears on teh Directors list here:

        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/East_India_Company_directors