RE: [milgenire] West Cork Artillery

  • Sylvia Binch
    Message 1 of 3 , Jun 20, 2010

      Thank you very much for your reply to my e-mail.

      It is great news that they are going to digitize the attestations ! I think I will take your advice and wait until this proces has been completed.

      Thanks again for your help. I really appreciate it.

      Kind regards,

      Sylvia

      To: milgenire@yahoogroups.com
      From: ddgrant2004@...
      Date: Sun, 20 Jun 2010 11:27:43 -0700
      Subject: Re: [milgenire] West Cork Artillery

      West Cork Artillery was a militia unit. The attestations to the militia are contained in the UK National Archives WO96.  These are about to be digitized and I would expect if the practice with other record sets is followed that there will be an index online.  Various records have been farmed out to private companies in this way in recent years and if the previous practice is followed the full record will be available for a fee from the private entity.

      Check out this page:

      I notice the index is also available on CD from

      However, since "From June 2010, for approximately 1 year, access to certain pieces will be disrupted and advance ordering of this series will not be possible during this time."  and the service of supplying a record from the CD index would presumably have been by manual search with the associated cost,  it may be less expensive to simply wait until the digitization is complete.