Re: [milgenire] William Alcock, Court Martial

  • Mal McKee
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013
      Hi Hec,

      Just to answer your question on whether he was British or Irish.. he would have potentially been both. Everyone in Ireland at that point was both British and Irish, just like everyone in England would have been British and English.

      It's all I can offer currently, and it may not be much help, but bearing in mind these technicalities might be of help at some point.

      Sent from my iPhone

      On 3 Jun 2013, at 18:43, "Hec" <heca@...> wrote:

      Hello, I am new to the group and looking for a William Alcock who was sentenced at a court martial 23/7/1827 at Newbridge Co Kildare. The offence was desertion and he was sentenced to 7 years transportation to Australia. He arrived in Sydney 1828.I believe he was born in Staffordshire UK about 1802

      I am aware that the 4th Light Dragoons were active at this time but cannot find any link to him in this unit.

      I have no other information.

      Is there information on the court martial?
      Was he a British or Irish soldier?
      Did he live in Ireland?

      Any help would be most appreciated
      Cheers
      Hec Alcock

    • Hec Alcock
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

        Hello Mal,

        Thanks for the information, I am learning more about English history than genealogy currently, Great.

        One day this wall will be crashing down.

        Thanks

        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

          Hello Margaret,

          Thanks for pointing me to a great site, so much information, but unfortunately no sign of my William

          Thanks for trying

          Hec

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

            Hec:

            Found this.  Am I on the right track?

                Birth:  1802 - Staffordshire, England

                Marriage:  1837  - Sydney, New South Wales

                Death:  9 Jan 1858 - Victoria, Australia

                Parents:  William Alcock, Mary

                Spouse:  Catherine McNamara

            Lewis

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

              Hec:

              Please send me your current email address for more lruddick@...

              Lewis

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                Hec:

                He died at Milkman’s Flat, Victoria, AU ( Jan, 1858 age 57.  They had 10 children.

                Lewis