RE: [milgenire] William Alcock, Court Martial

  • Hec Alcock
    Message 1 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

      Hello Donnacha

      Thank you for you reply,

      I did check with FMP a few weeks back and I think the person you have found was tried in 1831, (The Morley arrived in Sydney Cove 3/3/1828) but I will get back to the library and check out the link.

      Am learning a lot on English history. Probably back in the 50s I would have been taught about the Union of 1801 but that was a long time ago!  Am grateful for the information. I was thinking that the two armies were different, and William may have been reared in Ireland and therefore not the William I was after.

      Will also check out the court martials you mentioned tomorrow.

      Regards your second memo. Someone from another group suggested he may be with the 4th Light Dragoons. I did not state he was in this unit but it was a possibility.

      The evidence that there was a court martial comes from his Certificate of Freedom Certificate that states

      Certificate of Freedom.

      Vessel - Morley

      landed Sydney Cove: 3/3/1828

      CF no: 34/0954

      Native Place: Staffordshire

      Offence: Desertion

      Place of Trial: Newbridge Co Kildare by Court  Martial

      Date of Trial: 23/7/1827

      Sentence: 7 years

      Year of Birth: 1802

      Dated: 30/7/1834

      Item: 4/4323, Reel:993

      My thanks for your assistance and information

      Hec

    • Mal McKee
      Message 2 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013
        Hi Hec,

        Just to answer your question on whether he was British or Irish.. he would have potentially been both. Everyone in Ireland at that point was both British and Irish, just like everyone in England would have been British and English.

        It's all I can offer currently, and it may not be much help, but bearing in mind these technicalities might be of help at some point.

        Sent from my iPhone

        On 3 Jun 2013, at 18:43, "Hec" <heca@...> wrote:

        Hello, I am new to the group and looking for a William Alcock who was sentenced at a court martial 23/7/1827 at Newbridge Co Kildare. The offence was desertion and he was sentenced to 7 years transportation to Australia. He arrived in Sydney 1828.I believe he was born in Staffordshire UK about 1802

        I am aware that the 4th Light Dragoons were active at this time but cannot find any link to him in this unit.

        I have no other information.

        Is there information on the court martial?
        Was he a British or Irish soldier?
        Did he live in Ireland?

        Any help would be most appreciated
        Cheers
        Hec Alcock

      • Hec Alcock
        Message 3 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

          Hello Mal,

          Thanks for the information, I am learning more about English history than genealogy currently, Great.

          One day this wall will be crashing down.

          Thanks

          Message 4 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

            Hello Margaret,

            Thanks for pointing me to a great site, so much information, but unfortunately no sign of my William

            Thanks for trying

            Hec

            Message 5 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

              Hec:

              Found this.  Am I on the right track?

                  Birth:  1802 - Staffordshire, England

                  Marriage:  1837  - Sydney, New South Wales

                  Death:  9 Jan 1858 - Victoria, Australia

                  Parents:  William Alcock, Mary

                  Spouse:  Catherine McNamara

              Lewis

              Message 6 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                Hec:

                Please send me your current email address for more lruddick@...

                Lewis

                Message 7 of 16 , Jun 4, 2013

                  Hec:

                  He died at Milkman’s Flat, Victoria, AU ( Jan, 1858 age 57.  They had 10 children.

                  Lewis